MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Hail2Michigan
Found some matches.

Default Jacksonville Backyard BBQ championships

Is this weekend, 4/27. I'm doing my best impression of Johnny Triggs ribs which are dang good. If anyone is in the area its at Everbank field. However I will be doing Pork shoulders as well for competition quality what is considered over cooked does it pull to easy? Should I do sliced or chuck I know they look for smoke ring and bark but last couple times i have tried its not turning out the way i wanted.

back of shirt.jpg
Hail2Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
jw177
Got Wood.

Thanks for the heads up. I live in Jax, gonna try to make it there
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I'm down here in between Gainesville and Ocala, but I'm heading up to Charelston Sunday, will the event still be going on around lunchtime?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Hail2Michigan
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I'm down here in between Gainesville and Ocala, but I'm heading up to Charelston Sunday, will the event still be going on around lunchtime?
Yes, It opens to the public at noon till 5

Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
dwfisk

I'm cooking for my son's graduation party Saturday but assuming everything goes as planned (ha, ha) we want to get on the road for Charleston about 10:00, so we will try to stop by for lunch. I assume I just look for the tee shirt in your OP?

I don't do comps but here is my $0.02. I usually trim any really thick fat and try to get it down to about 1/4 inch max before a yellow mustard slather and rub, but that's just me. To pull pork you want it up to +200*; 185* to slice. I prefer pulled (or chunked up like Bono's) so I usually shoot for the higher temp. Are you sure you are doing whole shoulders - a 12-15 pound shoulder can easily take 24 hours at 225*-250*. Butts are a little easier - they cook quicker and have a built in doness tester, when the blade bone wants to come out it's done. Couple of tricks for bark/smoke ring: cook with hardwood if you can and put the meat on right out of the fridge/cooler (you don't want to let pork sit out at room temp anyhow). I find the starting with chilled meat sets the rub and improved the bark/smoke ring and you can't beat resl hardwood for taste.

Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Hail2Michigan
Found some matches.

Quote:
I'm cooking for my son's graduation party Saturday but assuming everything goes as planned (ha, ha) we want to get on the road for Charleston about 10:00, so we will try to stop by for lunch. I assume I just look for the tee shirt in your OP?

I don't do comps but here is my $0.02. I usually trim any really thick fat and try to get it down to about 1/4 inch max before a yellow mustard slather and rub, but that's just me. To pull pork you want it up to +200*; 185* to slice. I prefer pulled (or chunked up like Bono's) so I usually shoot for the higher temp. Are you sure you are doing whole shoulders - a 12-15 pound shoulder can easily take 24 hours at 225*-250*. Butts are a little easier - they cook quicker and have a built in doness tester, when the blade bone wants to come out it's done. Couple of tricks for bark/smoke ring: cook with hardwood if you can and put the meat on right out of the fridge/cooler (you don't want to let pork sit out at room temp anyhow). I find the starting with chilled meat sets the rub and improved the bark/smoke ring and you can't beat resl hardwood for taste.

Good Luck!

Yea look for the shirts and our banner. Kids 12 and under get in for free (throwing that out there) Thanks for the info, My presentation is lacking just trying to get ideas. Taste always scores high. So we shall see. #GOBLUE

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Nutz4bbq
On the road to being a farker

dwfisk said,

"chunked up like Bono's"

Love me some Bonos bbq... I go there everytime I'm in jax!!
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
dwfisk

Yea, about the only franchise/chain BBQ that I'll patronize anymore. They are a small NE Florida, SE Georgia chain that I think stsrted on Atlantic Blvd in Jax; Tallahassee is about as far west as I've seen one if it is still there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz4bbq View Post
dwfisk said,

"chunked up like Bono's"

Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Hail2Michigan
Found some matches.

Quote:
Yea, about the only franchise/chain BBQ that I'll patronize anymore. They are a small NE Florida, SE Georgia chain that I think stsrted on Atlantic Blvd in Jax; Tallahassee is about as far west as I've seen one if it is still there anymore.
The original is on atlantic, the old man is still there too. But that particular one is the best one in jax, the other branches have gone downhill FWIW.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
ddweatherholtz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz4bbq View Post
dwfisk said,

"chunked up like Bono's"

I miss Bono's and Crackers!
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverik ET732
ddweatherholtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2Michigan View Post
The original is on atlantic, the old man is still there too. But that particular one is the best one in jax, the other branches have gone downhill FWIW.
I thought the orignal was on Beach blvd?
I haven't been there in awhile but the one on Lane and Ramona used to be pretty good.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
gibb5128
Found some matches.

Im gonna try to make it there to get some good Q.
I'll look for the T shirt.
gibb5128 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
jw177
Got Wood.

The original location is on Beach Boulevard, and it's still open.
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
gibb5128
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2Michigan View Post
Is this weekend, 4/27. I'm doing my best impression of Johnny Triggs ribs which are dang good. If anyone is in the area its at Everbank field. However I will be doing Pork shoulders as well for competition quality what is considered over cooked does it pull to easy? Should I do sliced or chuck I know they look for smoke ring and bark but last couple times i have tried its not turning out the way i wanted.

Attachment 78726
It was great meet you there.
Both the Ribs and the pork was exceptional.
You got my vote!
gibb5128 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Hail2Michigan
Found some matches.

We placed 4th in chicken 7th in pork 12th in ribs, in the middle is DT Tyson Alu Alu with the Jacksonville Jaguars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alu alu.jpg (67.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg smoker 2.jpg (76.8 KB, 61 views)