MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #9721
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #9722
Hoochiemama
Got rid of the matchlight.

Can’t believe it’s the first time for brisket this season. But off we go.
Hoochiemama is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #9723
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbit View Post
curious how much charcoal to start with...looks like Ry uses about 3/4 full of small weber chimney...but not positive?
i'm finding i have to use a full load of briquettes in a small weber chimney and then give it 10 minutes with the lid off before i put the meat in otherwise temps are too low. but that was my problem before i tried the coffee can startup so as long as i give it some time i can get consistent fires to cook over.
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #9724
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

hooch, that looks like a HUGE brisket! what's the weight on it and how long did you have it in the PBC?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #9725
stickbit
Got Wood.

thanks Goose - and that makes perfect sense!
stickbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #9726
BillR
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Is there something wrong with the forum? Have not received posts since Aug 16.
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #9727
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

I've been doing a bastard keto diet for my wedding in October. Started June 1st and basically cut out all carbs and sugar for about six weeks. Then I cheated once a week for like three weeks and now I'm doing something fun at least once a weekend. Lost 25 pounds and now I'll be 208-210 on Friday and 213-215 come Monday. Rinse and repeat.

Point of the story is that I've been using the PBC every weekend so there is a ton of meat in the fridge all week. Losing 25 pounds on a diet of ribs, tri-tip, naked fatties, thighs and sausage is pretty cool.

One thing I discovered regarding my temps is that it is necessary to clean the pit out. I had never done it before; it appears drippings and whatnot were causing airflow issues at the intake. I took a small shovel and chiseled all the gunk out: been working like it is supposed to--i.e. 4 hour ribs v. 5 1/2-6 hours--ever since. I've also been using two lighter cubes under the chimney with around 38 Weber briquettes and letting it run for 20 minutes or so. These bad boys are pretty ashed over for the most part once I pour them in the basket. I am still doing an all-over pour but I do concentrate more of the dump towards the portion of the basket that is furthest from the intake.

It's been working like a champ. I'll do my lower temp cuts first and then crack the lid a bit for sausages, thighs, fatties etc. Putting out a ton of food each cook but the fire is still strong enough for more cooking if needed. Pretty awesome.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #9728
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Delicious way to lose weight

Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #9729
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Is there something wrong with the forum? Have not received posts since Aug 16.
there were no posts since 8/16 in the PBC thread til the dieting BK (congrats on the weight loss btw; i am currently in my 4th straight failing month of the beer & ice cream diet) posted yesterday. i haven't added any posts because my PBC cooks have been a lil disappointing lately. i find i'm liking pork & chicken off of it but beef not so much. made some elk jerky the other day and threw it out. checked at 1 hour and not done; overdone at 90 minutes. gonna stick with 6-8 hours in a dehydrator. that said, i'm going to needle & soak some petite sirloins in a teriyaki marinade this morning and hang them this afternoon and then watch some football while strictly adhering to my diet for the rest of the night.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #9730
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Pork Belly is on the diet this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190831_162806.jpg (111.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190831_163842.jpg (56.6 KB, 343 views)

Old 09-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #9731
gwlee7
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Greg

Just finished 3 small boneless chuck roasts to use for some shedded beef and still had enough coals to then smoke six lbs of boneless chicken breasts. I am fairly certain I could still nail some seafood of some kind if I has some here. Temp settled around 280 and rolled smoke.

Hope everyone is well.
gwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #9732
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

delete

Last edited by BigKing; 09-23-2019 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Double post
BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #9733
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Bought something called a beef shoulder roast at Smart & Final this weekend. Costco has not had briskets all summer and I wanted pulled beef. Want sure if this bad boy would do the trick or how to cook it so I just went for it and treated it like a brisket.

No fat to trim, really, so the yield is wild. Did 5 hours hanging, two hours in foil and off the smoker at 200IT. I didn't vent it but immediately wrapped it in more foil, a few towels and stuck it in a cooler. Had a thing to go to so I wound up holding it until I got home at 2AM, meaning it was in the cooler for nine hours.

It worked! $35-40 for 13 pounds. PBC crushes everything thrown at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190922_020539.jpg (113.8 KB, 252 views)

Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #9734
NKSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

That really looks nice and tender! I am going to have to give beef roast a try.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #9735
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Oh man this is amazing! Suckling pig in the PBC https://youtu.be/Hga_SN1LqSM

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it