Anyone make a good set of Tongs?

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to better BBQ tongs. Any ideas? The stamped stainless type work ok, but I’m thinking there’s better.

I would think that "working ok" would speak highly of a set of tongs. Pretty simple machines. Performs function adequately? check.

How is it you are looking for them to be better?

Maybe my bar is low. Stainless steel and easy to clean. I do like the doohickey that let's you lock them closed but that's it.

Best tongs I've ever had are the cheap $2 heavy duty tongs from webstraunt store.

I have multiple sets that have "teeth" on the tongs which are pretty Heavy Duty and they come with a spatula, usually ones that have a serated edge on one side.

The stamped ones are indoor tongs, good for kitchen frying and such (sometimes with a silicone sleeve for nonstick)

Have you checked the grill section at HD or Meijer?

I could post a pic if you like, they have the extended arm and are made for grilling

I’m partial to the Korean bbq style tongs. Sturdy and not curved like the traditional grill tongs. Also no hinge/stopper thing to dislodge and break. It’s built in to the design.
3907f024fee2189d0174e545908f8cf3.jpg

Best tongs I've ever had are the cheap $2 heavy duty tongs from webstraunt store.

+1!:thumb:

I really like the heavy duty long tongs from the local Resturant supply store.

They are cheap enough to to get multiple tongs when there.

Find a Resturant supply store in your area and see what they have.

surprisingly good

I too hated the stamped metal tongs that had too much flex. I bought a set of Weber tongs at either wally world or home depot. What got my attention was they appeared to be stamped and then rolled or curved side to side, not lengthwise, for added strength. I wouldn't try to pick up a brisket with them, but no problem with smaller pork loins and racks of untrimmed spare ribs. I honestly thought they would not last, but I still use them five years after purchase.

Last edited:
my kids gave me a set of grillight tools as a father's day gift a few years back.

I use the tongs all the time with and without the light.

I dulled down the sharp edges with a sharpening steel.

They aren't cheap but I really like having a light on the tongs, especially during winter cooking when it is dark at 5pm.

I have the OXO and love them. Rubber grips are great, locking doo hickey, and long enough to not burn the hands. I’d order another set in a heartbeat.

I’m partial to the Korean bbq style tongs. Sturdy and not curved like the traditional grill tongs. Also no hinge/stopper thing to dislodge and break. It’s built in to the design.
Link? Coincidentally I saw those at a Japanese restaurant last week and wondered how to find some.

I have a set of Pampered Chef that I have been using for years. They are a bit pricy but they are heavy duty, long with solid handles, and will pick up smaller items well. they also have a close, locking mechenism at the end for storage. Not sure if they still sell them but I have not bought another pair in over 10 years. Check them out.

I would think that "working ok" would speak highly of a set of tongs. Pretty simple machines.

You would think so, but I have a cheap pair that I bought from the local restaurant supply store. I liked them well enough that I went back and bought another pair, some time later.

They’re not the same. They both have the locking thingie, but the second pair I bought has a lock that locks by pushing it down, toward the business end…and it’s loose and sloppy…so if you point them downward, closed, the damned lock engages.:mad2:

Some day, they’re going to get flung into the bushes.

Back