MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
bh5k
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default UDS Cooking and building

Sorry double posted, see this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=68506

B.
bh5k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

B, ALL those questions are answered many times if you will use the search feature.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hope this helps

Ok I just built my first UDS and im still tweeking it so it will work properly ... but i found both those two threads to be more than helpfull

the one you linked to is a much shorter UDS build thread. That being said and i know you dont want to hear this but... you need to read the monster thread and quick before it grows again.. it is wicked helpfull, that being said here is what i have figured out from reading both of those threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh5k View Post
Anybody recommend a good post out there (I am sure there has to be one, but I haven't found it yet) on cooking with a UDS? I can find all sorts of threads on making them, but nothing great on cooking with them. I have been reading this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943 and also the 273+ monster thread on UDS building.

Questions I have now are how hot very hot and how long do you want to burn off the barrel Untill it has burned off everything that is in it except the steel . I found some corn syrup barrels and I am anxious to get started. Do they have a red lining? If so yo may have to burn a couple times, braided wire brush them power wash them what ever it takes to get it ALL out Do you drill the holes in the bottom first so that you can get a good fire going in there? Yes drill the holes before the fire Should it be hot enough to burn the paint off the outside? Yes if it is hot enough to get everything inside the paint on the outside will prob also come off.

Second, in all the plans that I have seen so far it seems like people have an ash pan and fire basket, but do you usually not use any liquid of any sort in the UDS? Nope it is not a WSM. My limited knowledge of smokers seems like some of the Brinkman's have a water pan. This is a whole different beast than anything you buy. If you can make it thru the massive thread it shows you from start to now how the uds wa sborn, shaped and molded thru trial and error. Along with hard work from the many many people who have contibuted to this site and that thread over the past couple years. It will tell you why there is no water pan and many other things about the uds that are very helpfull.

Thanks,

B.
I dreaded eading that many pages when I first logged on here as well but the days fly by so it goes quick
hope i helped
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Basics Of a UDS Build

Simple Arithmetic
Where
D= http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=ugly+drum
B=Foundation http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=uds
C= Fundimental simple build.
When either G or E are introduced the result is F
arked
A successful study and simple calculation will end in A which is equal to great food and lots of pride.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 09-08-2009 at 02:37 AM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
bud1lite
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Basics Of a UDS Build

Simple Arithmetic
Where
D= http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=ugly+drum
B=Foundation http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=uds
C= Fundimental simple build.
When either G or E are introduced the result is Farked
A successful study and simple calculation will end in A which is equal to great food and lots of pride.
ohno I should of studied more in school,lol