MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #46
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok, well I feel the guilt and the need to Q. I just put on a Brisky packer to enter this worthy Throwdown. It is 4 am and pouring rain here and it is supposed to snow. Hello, we live near San Francisco, in California and that is not supposed to happen. So I have family coming in today and we are going to have:
1. Peanut slaw
2. Simply Marvelous Beef Brisket for Plowboys with BBQ Beans 'n Big Butz

Ingredients and pron will come later

I'm just sitting here on my frog mat wondering how I can include it......

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #47
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Ok, well I feel the guilt and the need to Q. I just put on a Brisky packer to enter this worthy Throwdown. It is 4 am and pouring rain here and it is supposed to snow. Hello, we live near San Francisco, in California and that is not supposed to happen. So I have family coming in today and we are going to have:
1. Peanut slaw

I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Good luck with the frog mat inclusion.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #48
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Good luck with the frog mat inclusion.
I'm excited too! Tom, I'd love to see your sales charts after this throwdown. I expect to see a big spike!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #49
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Anyone looking for Foil Hat Rub, I will send some out to all interested parties. I have been promising to send some out to quite a number of folks for a while now, but an ungodly amount of financial things have come up, one horribly expensive thing right after the other, and I literally have not had the money to buy all of the ingredients because I have to prioritize all of my money elsewhere! Hell, I haven't had any for myself for a while now! Luckily, I have a massive stash of other Brethren rubs and stuff to keep me going for a long, long while. This financial burden will soon pass though...maybe a couple months or so. I'm gonna be making a big ass batch, that's for sure. I would sell it, but figure it will be even longer before I can make that happen (legitimately anyway), so that can wait for a bit too.
Thanks for the offer Chris. I was pretty sure Foil Hat was yours. I take it that it is a secret recipe rub. Fair enough. I would love to take you up on your offer and would be more than happy to pay for it. But like you, I have a stash of rubs to try out already. A few I haven't even opened yet. So, I'm not in any hurry to get any more. It is probably going to take me all summer to go through what I have.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #50
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
BTW, most of us are not shy about using Paypal. It's not like you're going to get rich, but it will at least cover your expenses and if you have a bit of business savvy, it may cover a rack or ribs every now and again.
I am not comfortable selling it without having done the proper legwork first. I am pretty sure you can not sell foodstuffs that you create the same way you can sell other crafts you make. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it needs a nutrition label, an approved facility, all that. Of course...I haven't even checked all that out yet!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #51
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
I am not comfortable selling it without having done the proper legwork first. I am pretty sure you can not sell foodstuffs that you create the same way you can sell other crafts you make. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it needs a nutrition label, an approved facility, all that. Of course...I haven't even checked all that out yet!
Oh, I would never suggest you sell Foil Hat Rub, just the beautiful, artisan bottles. When you send these bottles out, you might give away a sample of the rub to your friends.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #52
bigabyte

Quote:
Oh, I would never suggest you sell Foil Hat Rub, just the beautiful, artisan bottles. When you send these bottles out, you might give away a sample of the rub to your friends.
Why didn't I think of that? They are really unique bottles.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
1. Peanut slaw

I may have to go outside in the rain just to get a whiff of your brisky!

Maybe smoke some peanuts on your frogmat for your slaw?

Quote:
Chris - I hear you have some unique collectors bottles that work well for holding rubs. If you're looking to sell a bottle, I'd be interested in one!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #54
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q View Post
Chris - I hear you have some unique collectors bottles that work well for holding rubs. If you're looking to sell a bottle, I'd be interested in one!
PM sent!

Duh.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #55
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm excited too! Tom, I'd love to see your sales charts after this throwdown. I expect to see a big spike!
More sales are great but, I'm more excited about the food. This is one that I would really love to have samples of everything. Some great looking food coming out on this one.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #56
martyleach

Quote:
I too, would be interested in your bottles. For sale??

Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #57
bigabyte

Quote:
I too, would be interested in your bottles. For sale??
PM sent!

Duh.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #58
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Seems that I, too, am out of bottles, I would love to purchase a bottle or two if'n you have any bottles left!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #59
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
Seems that I, too, am out of bottles, I would love to purchase a bottle or two if'n you have any bottles left!
I would love to get rid of some of these bottles. PM sent!

Duh.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #60
martyleach

Here is my humble entry into this fun Throwdown. I had family come into town today, so it gave me a great reason to Q and eat. I smoked up the brisket that Brethren R2Egg2Q (John) was kind enough to snag for me at a great price.

With that I made us some BBQ beans based on a recipe posted by patiodaddio and modified a bit.

And while the beans were on the BGE in my Dutch Oven, there was extra space for a few MOINK balls to just slip in there...

I included the following awesome brethren products.

Brisket
Plowboy's Bovine Bold followed with Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy when I separated the point from the flat.
BigButz Original BBQ sauce was added to the burnt tips
BigButz Hot, Cranberry and Original were on the table when the food was put out. They devoured the Original and had lots of questions like....where did you get this??? Personally, I'm kinda fond of the Cranberry cause of its cute label.

MOINKs
Simply Marvelous Cherry rub
Big Butz Original BBQ sauce
They were cooked on the ever so awesome Frogmats. I don't know how i ever cooked without them.

I purchased the most of the rubs and one of the BBQ sauces from
GreenLeaf BBQ in Livermore. Great store, great people

BBQ Beans
I normally would have added more Ketchup and Honey but reduced those portions and substituted BigButz Hot BBQ sauce. I made a huge pot of beans and they were almost all gone. Putting some of the cooked point meat in the beans and cooking in the Dutch oven for about 2 hours made this one nice eat.

Rubbed and ready

The folded brisket

Pulled after 11-1/2 hours

Getting ready to slather some of the tips

The bean fixin's

One happy family!!

Plated brisket with the remains of the MOINKs and burnt tips

This was the first packer I had ever cooked, but I have gotten great advice from the Brethren. It came out great and 9 pounds are gone.

The real surprise was the beans. They were over the top. I think cooking them on the BGE and Tom's Big Butz BBQ sauce addition did it.

Thanks so much for looking.

John, I don't know which picture to use. Too much food! AAAAGH!

Tags
Foil Hat Rub, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread