MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #7516
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Well gang, it's been about 4 months since I posted a PBC cook. Ever since I got the Lang I've been neglecting the Barrel. Well after cooking the past two days on the Lang, and since I was only doing a couple of fattys and needed about 2 hours....I decided to give the PBC some love. Cleaned it out..no mold thankfully.

Also gives me a good chance to show some of the newer guys that you don't need a full basket...or firebricks to run a short cook. This also gives you an example of how to deal with that uneven burn pattern.

The victims. One spicy sausage stuffed with sautéed onions and yellow pepper, and smoked pepper jack cheese. The other naked original. Both with Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub.

One small Weber chimney full of unlit charcoal dumped in a corner next to the intake. With a chunk of cherry.

about 15 mins after lighting another small Weber chimney. Dump the coals next to/overlapping the unlit. Lit coals away from the intake. This will burn towards the intake.

Put the lid on and rebar in. Give it 10 minutes to settle in. Then load the fattys. Put those on the opposite side of the lit coals. No juices dripping on lit coals.

Lid back on. Settles right into the 240 range. Thin blue. I expect to get 2+ hours out of this. The fattys should only take about 1.5. See you in a bit!

Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 11-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #7517
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

After 1.5 hours I pulled thr lid to check temp of the fatty. They needed a little more time. After I pulled the lid the temp jumped to 280 for the next 20 min or so. I pulled the fattys, then pulled the rebar and put the lid back on. Now running 307 about 2:15 after I dumped the coals.

Here's the pics.

Burn pattern at 2 hours.

Results.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #7518
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Last post on this topic. 3.5 hours after dumping lit coals the PBC is still running at 271 with the rebar out. Temps dropping now pretty consistently.

Pretty efficient cooker. Two mini chimneys of KBB. One lit on top of one unlit, plus one chunk of cherry, held temps for at least 3.5 hours.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #7519
jgame
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Stlsportster good info for short cooks.
jgame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #7520
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcimike125 View Post
Not that I have that problem (yet) but could you post Noah's instructions? Sometimes its easier to do a search than to pick up a phone
To burn off and kill mold without lighter fluid or weed burner available: FULL charcoal basket and then FILL a large chimney (looking to get the PBC as hot as possible) let the coals go at least 20 minutes. Leave the lid off for 5 minutes then cover barrel with lid but leave a 2" gap to keep plenty of air flow and high temps. Let go till coals die. I also scrubbed down all parts of the inside with an old wire brush. Dumped all ashes.

I might go back and really scrub down my grill grate and rebar but I might just buy the hanging grate at this point too.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #7521
funstuie

Name/Nickname : Stu

They have a PBC Jr now.
funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #7522
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funstuie View Post
They have a PBC Jr now.
Yep. We talked about that when the announcement came out. Do you have one? We are hoping someone will get one and post a review!

Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #7523
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I've already seen on YouTube Smokey Ribs and Ballistic BBQ using the Jr. They're reviews seem to be works just like the original but is more portable

Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #7524
funstuie

Name/Nickname : Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Yep. We talked about that when the announcement came out. Do you have one? We are hoping someone will get one and post a review!
Nope I didn’t get one. I just got my pbc recently so I don’t really have a need for the mini. The main pbc is not exactly big so I’m not sure of the need at the point. I wouldn’t be interested in bringing a pbc jr tk the beach as I would much rather just bring one of my small Weber.

I can see that the jr would be a good option for someone just cooking for 2 or for a small patio/balcony - but again it’s not like the main pbc is mahoosive.
funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #7525
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
By the way.... I was thinking. When I joined this thread and got my PBC it was about a year and a half ago and the thread was only ~250 pages or so. I read ALL of them when I was thinking of buying and right after I ordered...

It would be really hard for someone to get through all 500 pages now. Andrew, Sako, Bob, Thingfish and I should put together a single document...like the Bandera 101. Most common issues, mods, fixes, how to half basket cook, raise the charcoal basket, lump vs kbb vs RO. You get the idea. Everyone could contribute.

Then someone doesn't have to read all 500 pages. We could just post the info somewhere.

Thoughts?
Just getting caught up and I saw this post, Sportster. Neat idea. I'm almost done reading the entire thread, and I know what the first topic/question to be addressed is:

*"Hey Sako, where'd you get those cool flat skewers?"

Man, how many times has he had to answer that question?! And every single time he does it like a gentleman...

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #7526
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Lol, thanks Kanco! Good catch. That's just on the PBC thread alone. I had the same question asked in QTalk even more.

I don't mind it at all because after all 500 pages is a lot to go though and find the answer.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #7527
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

This thread has to be the longest running mega thread on the brethren and consecutively running on page 1 for over 2 1/2 years.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #7528
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Yeah and after posting pretty regularly for over a year...I'm STILL in 5th place.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #7529
Haole Pete
Full Fledged Farker

Need some advice:

Was planning on smoking a chuckie on the PBC tomorrow for Meat Sunday, but my wife brought back a cross-rib roast.

Everything I've searched for here looks like it should be cooked to 125-130 rather than taking to probe-tender like a chuck or brisket.

Anybody have any tips for hanging a cross-rib roast?

TIA!
* Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker (used for BBQ gear storage)
Haole Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #7530
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Sounds like it should be cooked like a prime rib which is why your coming up with the 125-130° temp. Sako has hung a couple prime ribs you may be able to find his threads with a search here.
Or maybe send him a PM.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it