MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #5941
Vammy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwerlee View Post
When using the chimney method how many lit coals do yall start with? AmazingRibs says light 40 coals in chimney for 15 minutes, then place with unlit coals in PBC with lid off and rebar out for 10 minutes, then lid on and rebar out for additional 10 minutes, then begin cook.

I found using 35-36 KBB gets me 275-280F; I dump coal, scatter it somewhat evenly in the basket, put the lid on with the rebar out. Check it in 10 min, it's usually ready, but it has taken a few extra minutes a couple times

That's what works for me, YMMV....

Cheers
Vam

Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #5942
skwerlee
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
It's somewhat different depending on your area and the humidity. But in my opinion if you do the above you will start with very high temperatures in the PBC. You can start with 40 briquettes I usually do 38. Light them until they are all pretty much glowing red. Then dump over the unlit. Place the rebar in and put the lid on. Wait a minimum of 15-20 minutes before you put any meat in. This method will get you in the 275-300° cooking range from the beginning assuming your intake is set propperly.

If you leave the lid off at any point (even in the beginning) for more than about 1 minute, your temperature will sky rocket.
My thoughts exactly. The way amazing ribs.com describes their method the temps would be out of control. I'm at less than 500 foot elevation so I'm going to use the method you described.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #5943
Bugsy
Knows what a fatty is.

Easter Beef ribs

Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #5944
Vammy
Knows what a fatty is.

Really nice! Beef ribs are coming to my PBC in the very near future....and yours just made me hungry

Last edited by Vammy; 04-17-2017 at 08:08 AM..
Vammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #5945
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

This photo taken at Just over 8 hours on basket load of lump coals. Pretty amazing how far a single basket can go. I'm guessing at least 2 hours of cooking heat remains. Should've made meat loaf cupcakes. PBC purring like an oven

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-09-2017 at 02:23 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #5946
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQuest View Post
PBC fanatic here! Got a 6lb brisket on now...first cook for 2017 too :)

Please indulge me...there are tons of threads covering this all around the internet but I'm so proud to say after a year of ownership i finally figured out how to get the perfect internal temp on my PBC

The troubleshooting steps were essentially: 1) lid seals tightly to cooker 2) never adjusted vent (<500 ft elevation) 3) fill basket remove exactly 40 briquets for chimney 4)15/10/10 = 15min chimney burn then drop them into PBC basket, 10min burn no lid or rebar, 10min lid on no rebar 5) here's the huge lesson learned: i slowly turned the vent side a quarter turn AWAY from the direction of the breeze outside (with meat hanging...do this at your own risk lol but the PBC just slides perfectly on its stand)and the internal temp went from 220 to 290 and never left the 280-290 range for the rest of the cook!!!

So now my PBC is finally set it and forget it! Previously i kept watching the temp on my Maverick etc and offsetting then closing the lid which as any PBC owner knows causes huge temperature spikes and drops.

So happy now and hopefully this will help future PBC brethren
I've been keeping an eye on wind direction and vent opening today and here's what I've found so far. With the 1/4 turn away from wind direction I'm 10° hotter than into the wind. I haven't tried a full 1/2 turn yet but I don't plan on trying that either

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #5947
Hoochiemama
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just Johnny after looking up some recipes/ideas for cooking a leg of lamb for Easter. Got my PBC a year ago and and done chicken, brisket, lamb, ham, beef tenderloin and ribs. Lots of ribs. Gotta say took the lamb to 130 and it still felt under done.
Hoochiemama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #5948
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochiemama View Post
Just Johnny after looking up some recipes/ideas for cooking a leg of lamb for Easter. Got my PBC a year ago and and done chicken, brisket, lamb, ham, beef tenderloin and ribs. Lots of ribs. Gotta say took the lamb to 130 and it still felt under done.
Did you pull and serve at 130*? I've done bone in and boneless legs of lamb on the PBC a lot and what I do is take it to 135* +/-, wrap and rest for a bit. It then carries over to 140-145 then I carve and serve. It's a larger cut of meat so it can handle getting up to 145 in carryover kind of live prime ribs/standing rib roast and still be med rare.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #5949
Hoochiemama

Thanks. Maybe I'll hang it for a little longer. Beef tenderloin was pulled at 120 and it was money. There is just something about the PBC that works.
Hoochiemama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #5950
fou

Hello. First post here and wanted to say thanks to all who contribute. Also new to the smoking world.

I got the PBC a few weeks ago and have done some ribs and a boston butt. A friend's parents gave me a brisket to cook next. I have a few questions/issues with the brisket.

First, I looked at label and it is USDA Select. I would assume most people here would choose Choice or Prime? Is the Select going to cook up nicely or be dry and tough? Should I do anything different or special?

Second, it has been in the freezer for a while and looks a bit frosty. Will that have much effect and how long do you generally take to thaw out a 12lb brisket?

On another note, I recall seeing places to buy butcher paper on here, but don't recall where and what size and price is normal. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help.
fou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #5951
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Select will be fine. Obviously less marbling and less fat content but plenty of people cooking good select briskets here.

If the brisket was cryovaced it will be fine. If it has a littlest freezer burn it can lose some flavor but isn't harmful to eat. Just trim off any grey looking or obviously burned parts. Safest way to defrost is in the fridge for a few days.

Butcher paper you can get cheap here. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x.../43324PEA.html
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #5952
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I'll second what Sportster said. I've cooked selects before and they come out fine. Only reason I don't anymore because we get prime packers for cheap here and sometimes there is no price difference between both so it's a no brainer.

Here's a small select I cooked on the PBC some time back. Every bit tender and moist

Hung it along with a turkey

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #5953
stickbit
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vammy View Post
I found using 35-36 KBB gets me 275-280F; I dump coal, scatter it somewhat evenly in the basket, put the lid on with the rebar out. Check it in 10 min, it's usually ready, but it has taken a few extra minutes a couple times

That's what works for me, YMMV....

Cheers
Vam
Vammy does it stay at 275-280? If so for how long? I had hot temp issues so Pit Barrel rep told me to start with 30 KBB and drop them over the unlit coals at 13 mins. I did that and started very low...like 190-210 - I cracked the lid a bit just to get the fire going a little and when it got to about 225 i secured lid ...and then sure enough over time went well above 300 (without me removing the lid).

Someone on here had an idea that sounded intriguing...dump lit coals next to all the unlit coals instead of on top and mimic the minion method that way?
stickbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #5954
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou View Post

On another note, I recall seeing places to buy butcher paper on here, but don't recall where and what size and price is normal. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help.
fou - Gordon Food Service stocks the butcher paper I use. They should have a presence in your area.

Edit - 9312 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37922
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop

Last edited by Thingfish; 04-18-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #5955
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbit View Post
Vammy does it stay at 275-280? If so for how long? I had hot temp issues so Pit Barrel rep told me to start with 30 KBB and drop them over the unlit coals at 13 mins. I did that and started very low...like 190-210 - I cracked the lid a bit just to get the fire going a little and when it got to about 225 i secured lid ...and then sure enough over time went well above 300 (without me removing the lid).

Someone on here had an idea that sounded intriguing...dump lit coals next to all the unlit coals instead of on top and mimic the minion method that way?
30 coals is probably to few to start with. Most people use closer to 40. Believe it or not just 2 extra coals makes about a 25-30° temp difference. I always start with 36-38 coals.

The true minion method doesn't work very well from my experience. However I have been able to use a slight variation of it successfully. Basically instead of scattering the coals all over the unlit I will make somewhat of a large bowl shape slightly off center away from the intake. Then pour the lit in the bowl. I make it off center away from the intake because the fire will burn towards the intake.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]

Last edited by AClarke44; 04-18-2017 at 03:32 PM..
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it