MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #106
FishinMusician
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : John Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
Most of the issues and concerns don't have anything to do with the actual cooking and results of the cook. You won't be sorry

Since you're here, did you do any Lava Lock or anything on your unit? Considering that if I do purchase the 560.
FishinMusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #107
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinMusician View Post
Since you're here, did you do any Lava Lock or anything on your unit? Considering that if I do purchase the 560.

I ran Lavalock around the cooking chamber lid last week

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #108
FishinMusician
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : John Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
I ran Lavalock around the cooking chamber lid last week
Appreciate your responses. I'm guessing you're the "Rex" on the facebook page?

Either way, noticed your location says West Columbia, so instead of buying the 560 I'm just gunna head up hwy35 and eat your stuff ha.
FishinMusician is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #109
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinMusician View Post
Appreciate your responses. I'm guessing you're the "Rex" on the facebook page?

Either way, noticed your location says West Columbia, so instead of buying the 560 I'm just gunna head up hwy35 and eat your stuff ha.

Yes, that's me. I'll post pics of the salmon I'm grilling tonight

Old 02-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #110
mpan72
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Michael

Was set on a Red Box smoker. I saw a pallet of the MB560 in Wal-Mart. After 3 days of research I now am undecided. They both have features I love. This is gonna be a difficult decision.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #111
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
Was set on a Red Box smoker. I saw a pallet of the MB560 in Wal-Mart. After 3 days of research I now am undecided. They both have features I love. This is gonna be a difficult decision.
Red Box Smoker Blows - its the size of a Microwave, not even a Large microwave..........I laugh at PjTexas's every time I see it........
I'd get a Ok Joe Bronco instead.......

Old 02-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #112
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post

I don't even know what a Red Box smoker is, but I can tell you first hand that the 560 GF is a game changer. Grill? Yes. Smoke? Yes. Slow/low cooking, yes, down to 150 deg. Searing? Yes, up to 700 deg. Input for 4 probes. No hotspots. Room for a 22lb brisket? Yes

And I have no dog in the hunt except a happy owner of the 560

Old 02-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #113
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Does anyone know when the larger model is due to come out? Last I heard it was sometime this year but nothing definitive. If I recall, it will be almost double the capacity and somewhere around $799.
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #114
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

From what I can tell on the FB group, probably by the middle/end of May

Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #115
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

I'll be watching this product closely. My Camp Chef pellet grill has been a source of continuing frustration for me (when it works its amazing, when the fire goes out unexpectedly in the middle of a cook with company coming over, its hellish).

Had been thinking for awhile someone should try to bastardize a pellet grill and a charcoal grill and now here we are. Seems like an amazing concept.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #116
RCAlan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Kettle View Post
I'll be watching this product closely. My Camp Chef pellet grill has been a source of continuing frustration for me (when it works its amazing, when the fire goes out unexpectedly in the middle of a cook with company coming over, its hellish).

Had been thinking for awhile someone should try to bastardize a pellet grill and a charcoal grill and now here we are. Seems like an amazing concept.

Funny you post/thought that... I’ve felt the same way and have managed to create a pellet/charcoal grill Cyborg of my own... Originally, I owned a PB Austin XL... Long story short, I had the topical entry level pellet grill short comings... ie. Reliability, temp swings and the lack of true hardwood smoke flavor. I added a Pellet Pro PID Controller to my Austin XL to eliminate the sometimes wild temp swings and added the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.IG. Cold Smoke Canister to my grill to now be able to enjoy true hardwood smoke flavor again while using a pellet grill and I can’t be happier. I was locked away in my garage creating my Cyborg pellet, offset cold smoker and when I finally emerged and saw day light again... lol. I looked and saw that there was a new smoker that was getting a lot of attention online... No, not the Weber Smoke/Misfire, but the MB 560 GF. I had to go and see one in person at the local Wally World. Looked pretty nice and I can see why there is such and attraction for it. Heck, if I hadn’t already went the pellet grill route, I probably would’ve gotten myself a MB 560 GF as well. But I did go the pellet grill route and with the mods I’ve done to my Austin XL, I’m completely satisfied. I have Set it and Forget it, Charcoal/hardwood smoke plus a touch of pellet smoke and no more crazy temp swings or flame outs. Having said all that, you can hang in there with your Camp Chef and modify it... It’s what makes the bbq hobby so much and interesting or you can take the Gravity Feed plunge with the MB 560 GF. Either way, I’m sure you’ll be happy. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #117
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Had been thinking for awhile someone should try to bastardize a pellet grill and a charcoal grill
Paging Dr. Smitty...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

The 2021 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #118
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAlan View Post
Funny you post/thought that... I’ve felt the same way and have managed to create a pellet/charcoal grill Cyborg of my own... Originally, I owned a PB Austin XL... Long story short, I had the topical entry level pellet grill short comings... ie. Reliability, temp swings and the lack of true hardwood smoke flavor. I added a Pellet Pro PID Controller to my Austin XL to eliminate the sometimes wild temp swings and added the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.IG. Cold Smoke Canister to my grill to now be able to enjoy true hardwood smoke flavor again while using a pellet grill and I can’t be happier. I was locked away in my garage creating my Cyborg pellet, offset cold smoker and when I finally emerged and saw day light again... lol. I looked and saw that there was a new smoker that was getting a lot of attention online... No, not the Weber Smoke/Misfire, but the MB 560 GF. I had to go and see one in person at the local Wally World. Looked pretty nice and I can see why there is such and attraction for it. Heck, if I hadn’t already went the pellet grill route, I probably would’ve gotten myself a MB 560 GF as well. But I did go the pellet grill route and with the mods I’ve done to my Austin XL, I’m completely satisfied. I have Set it and Forget it, Charcoal/hardwood smoke plus a touch of pellet smoke and no more crazy temp swings or flame outs. Having said all that, you can hang in there with your Camp Chef and modify it... It’s what makes the bbq hobby so much and interesting or you can take the Gravity Feed plunge with the MB 560 GF. Either way, I’m sure you’ll be happy. Good luck.

I'm a bit mad at myself because I hadn't even heard of this product until I saw it in Wal-Mart a couple days ago. I had just this past Christmas bought myself a digiQ for my kettle/Slow N Sear configuration. Figured I'd go back to charcoal via that route since the pellets had been a source of frustration. If I'd have seen this MB 560 first I would have just saved up the extra money and gone that way instead.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #119
RCAlan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Quote:
I'm a bit mad at myself because I hadn't even heard of this product until I saw it in Wal-Mart a couple days ago. I had just this past Christmas bought myself a digiQ for my kettle/Slow N Sear configuration. Figured I'd go back to charcoal via that route since the pellets had been a source of frustration. If I'd have seen this MB 560 first I would have just saved up the extra money and gone that way instead.

I know every bbq device and equipment has its pros and cons... There’s still possibly some good service life in your Camp Chef pellet grill, if you’re willing to do some upgrades to it. I like the fact that I can Set and Forget my Pellet Pro Austin XL and also enjoy Charcoal/Hardwood smoke from it with the SD Magnum P.I.G. upgrade. Every upgrade/investment comes at a price $$ though. That MB 560 GF sales for about $499.00 which is a pretty good price. I hear in a few months, Masterbuilt is coming out with a larger model as well. The more you see it and read about it, the greater the chances that you’ll eventually get one. Also, how is that DigiQ working out for you on your kettle/Slow N Sear configuration?

Old 03-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #120
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

The larger Masterbuilt, 1050, is out now and appearing in stores