MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #271
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret View Post
My quick look into ATC a Fireboard setup looks about $280 and a 22" WSM $440. The MB 560 is pretty much a do it all, I haven't tried it all yet, but it's looking that way. Low and slow to hot and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! Looks awesome! What is it about this cooker?

Old 07-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #272
Sudz
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Alan

I have a highly modified 18" WSM with the Signals/Bellows ATC. Works flawlessly, heats up quickly, and cooks a very tasty BBQ. No complaints with the cook and resulting BBQ but... it's a bit small even for our two people family. Ribs are tight unless a vertical rack is used. Two butts are crowded but workable. The real issue is the time involved with setting up, firing up, and cleaning up. Quick cooks are not a practicality.

Enter the MB560 stage right... Simple to use, fast, easy cleaning and can sear a steak with the turn of a knob. Quick cooks are on par with my Weber gasser. Still on a learning curve with dailing in smoke and understanding temps but this thing is rock steady. The few cooks I have at this point have all been great BBQ. And this thing is just plain fun to use.
Sudz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #273
darita
is One Chatty Farker

It is fun. Personally I'm trying to limit my temps to 450* and under, in hopes I won't fry anything.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #274
thunder_lizards
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : thunder_lizards
Default My Advice: Don't leave fuel in the Hopper

Got the MB 560 yesterday. I am not new to smoking but still very much an amateur. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area (this may play a part). As noted through out the majority of this thread, it is made if cheap materials so I will not dwell too much on that.

After pre-seasoning and seasoning, I turned off the unit and put in the metal slides to block the air flow. This happened about 11 pm. I checked the burn chamber 2 hours later and the charcoal was still glowing a bit. I know it may have been careless but I went to bed as I felt the heat was contained and there were very little glowing spots.

NOTE: I woke up about 7 am and there was still tiny little embers on the coals. This surprised me as I would think they would have gone out. During the day I checked the burn chamber and there was still the tiniest little red spots. Around 3pm, I checked and thought they must be out but still little embers there. I turned the unit on, no starter material. The fan kicked on and the temp rose.

I ended up just burning the rest of the charcoal to ensure this would not continue. It may be due to my location, as it was above 100 today.

I have not had a chance to cook anything yet but feel this is a good unit for the price. I will be ensuring I only add enough fuel (or burning the left overs) for my future endeavors but feel I lucked out that nothing serious occurred.

Final note: I am in IT and will checking how secure the ATC and App are as they may not be the most secure.
thunder_lizards is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #275
darita
is One Chatty Farker

All I can tell you is that this is not a sealed chute, although it's kinda supposed to be. Mine stays hot for a few hours, however it does go out. Check the seals and that's about all you can do,

Old 07-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #276
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
I have a highly modified 18" WSM with the Signals/Bellows ATC. Works flawlessly, heats up quickly, and cooks a very tasty BBQ. No complaints with the cook and resulting BBQ but... it's a bit small even for our two people family. Ribs are tight unless a vertical rack is used. Two butts are crowded but workable. The real issue is the time involved with setting up, firing up, and cleaning up. Quick cooks are not a practicality.

About the Billows, I'm reading the top vent has to be closed 1/4 to 1/2 for it operate effectively .... is this true ? If so, the WSM does not have a lot of air flow with the top vent wide open, this has to really limit air flow.

Which is a problem I have with these gravity feeds. And air flow on my offset is part of the reason it produces good flavor.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #277
Sudz
Found some matches.

[QUOTE=Lynn Dollar;4342961]About the Billows, I'm reading the top vent has to be closed 1/4 to 1/2 for it operate effectively .... is this true

Yeah, that's what they tell you. But it is not the idea way in my opinion.

I built a flow gate into my Billows to limit or control the amount of air involved without closing off the top vent. I did this to insure clean smoke. Throttling the top vent on a WSM does not promote clean smoke in my experience. Running about a 1/3 open on the blower and the top vent wide open gives me excellent control with Thin Blue Smoke...

That said, I'm cooking with my Masterbuilt 560 exclusively since it's purchase simply because its fun, easy, and gives good results. Temp control on the WSM is better but the MB is good once it is stable. I do use the Signals for monitoring the temp since the MB app is garbage.

We did St. Louis Memphis style dry ribs for the 4th. My wife and I think they were the best ribs we've ever had, commerical or otherwise. Certainly the best I've made.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #278
Eckie
Full Fledged Farker

I know the info says the masterbuilt can be at 225 deg in a few minutes...but curious as to what is the lowest temp you can run the smoker at?
Eckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #279
Sudz
Found some matches.

They say 150*F I believe.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #280
Eckie
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Sudz!
Eckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #281
texun
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Brad

picked up a new one today. going to get it together and see what damage we can do this weekend.
texun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #282
darita
is One Chatty Farker

You'll have fun with it, provided everything works well on it. Not saying it won't. Check out the FB page if you haven't already. Lot's of the issues show up there, with solutions as well. Have fun with it.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #283
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by texun View Post
picked up a new one today. going to get it together and see what damage we can do this weekend.

HINT: If you do any type of smoking with a high fat content, use the middle rack with a drip pan on the main grates. Avoid a fire like a lot of others have had by not doing that. Fast and hot, not so much, but longer cooks like briskets can be fun when you see flames licking out of the lid

2 members found this post helpful.