MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cedar planked fish, but cedar is not recommended to smoke with?

Why is that?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

you are not smoking with the cedar. The meat is laying on a cedar plank which is not being burned up, having been soaked in water beforehand. It is just there to add flavor. it is basically another cooking dish

Old 04-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have wondered the same thing. I haven't seen a cedar plank salmon cooked, but doesn't the bottom of the plank char which produces smoke?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
1fastf7
On the road to being a farker

i think you have to keep the plank from charring,,make sure to soak it..it should just get hot enough to cook the salmon..i never tried it,but fish dosnt need real intense or long heat to cook..

Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
keend
is one Smokin' Farker

I have cooked cedar planked salmon a few times. You soak the plank, build a hot fire, put the plank on and wait for it to start popping. Then you add the fist and cook until flaky. The cedar does smoke and it adds a nice flavor to the fish but I like Alder better. It is worth giving it a try.

Misplaced in the Mid-West

NB Bandera
22.5" Weber Kettle
[COLOR=black]22.5" WSM[/COLOR]
keend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by keend View Post
The cedar does smoke and it adds a nice flavor to the fish .......
So, you are actually smoking with cedar which is supposed to be a bad thing to do. It isn't logical.

Alder, on the other hand is a good wood to smoke with and particularly good for fish, so why not forget cedar and use alder planks?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

You dont wanna use Cedar for fuel as it becomes nasty in large ammounts, bute the small ammount thats released from the planks is really delishious.

I put the soaked planks over the fire to char the bottom, then flip it over and put over indirect heat and put the fish on the hot lightly charred side of the plank, close the lid and let it cook.

DM
Don Marco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Marco View Post
I put the soaked planks over the fire to char the bottom, then flip it over and put over indirect heat and put the fish on the hot lightly charred side of the plank, close the lid and let it cook.

DM
Doing it your way burns off all the bad oils on the side you put your fish, then cooking it indirect keeps the oils from the uncharred side from being released. This method makes sense to me.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i've done it dozens of times.

Cedar is a soft wood. similar to pine. Burned as a cookiing smokeing wood, it can ruin your pit by depositing tars and a cresote on the pit walls.

A soaked cedar plank under a salmon doesnt ignite, yes it chars on the underside a bit, and the flavors from the aromatics in the wood comes through the cedar and penetrates the salmon, but the wood never actually ignites and burns. The small amount of charring you get is enuf to release the oils thru the wood but does not produce any significant amount of smoke. You will notice that the entire top side of the plank statys intact as well as throughout, and only the bottom chars up a bit.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

try it. putting the wood at the grid level is a lot different than puting it directly on the coals

the cedar planked method dates back to the pacific northwest where salmon was smoked with cedar because that's the most abundant wood.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

I've always heard not to use cedar to cook with, but we went to a steakhouse in north Arizona where they advertise that they use juniper (cedar) to grill over. Steaks turned out real good.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
thirdeye

I kind of have to agree and disagree here. Cedar is like cooking with pine in my eyes. For the most part all we have in the high country is pine, and from many years of camping, it's not a flavor I like with food. Try alder or apple planks for seafood or maple or hickory planks for pork.

You soak a plank to slow down the combustion, but your fire must be hot enough to char the wood, which in turn bathes the food in an envelope of smoke, which flavors it. A hot fire and proper vent settings are needed, as you want the plank on the edge of combustion. I keep a little squirt bottle of water on hand if an edge gets too western. Oh yeah, if you don't close your bottom vent before taking pictures, they will flash.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I hate cedar planks. They smell like a coat closet on fire. There are plenty of sources for good wood planks such as alder, cherry, and maple. They basically create a buffer from indirect heat while adding a quick smokey flavor as the bottom of the plank smokes.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just a side note. The cedar planks can be cleaned and reused.
Dave

Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Saw cedar planks at Wal-Mart today. $6 each!