Cowboy lump is like a cereal box with a prize inside...

I thought cowboy was supposed to be good....? Just bought a bag to try the other day cause it was on sale..havent got onto it yet... Wonder what kind of prize I'll get in mine??

To be fair I bought this Cowboy Southern Style on clearance a little over a year ago for $3.99 bag. I bought 19 bags and have used 12. It's been great charcoal and this is the first debris I've found. There has to be something in the processing of lump charcoal that catches debris. I don't want to believe they intentionally toss this stuff in random bags to add weight. At least I hope that isn't the case.

Have seen similar items in Royal Oak.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cowboy has had a less than great rep for some time. Rumors are they have gotten better but it has been some time since I've tried it. Since I've moved to premium lump I'm not sure I will climb back down the ladder. Yes, it costs more. But, it's worth it for me to have less dust, kiln pieces and unusable charcoal. Not to mention that high heat and clean smoke. After working through Royal Oak and a few others, I've settled in on Jealous Devil. The lump is great and their new briquettes are beyond amazing. And, I've never found kiln concrete in a big...ever.

I find lots more trash in RO lump than in Cowboy. Rocks, glass, twine, fiberglass. Pretty sure this aint part of the kiln...

I stopped buying Lump for this very reason. Its either foreign objects, or a half a bag of crumbs. I rarely use my charcoal grills/smokers, but when i do i just use KBB. At least its consistent and cheap when 40lb packs are on sale.

Cowboy has had a less than great rep for some time. Rumors are they have gotten better but it has been some time since I've tried it. Since I've moved to premium lump I'm not sure I will climb back down the ladder. Yes, it costs more. But, it's worth it for me to have less dust, kiln pieces and unusable charcoal. Not to mention that high heat and clean smoke. After working through Royal Oak and a few others, I've settled in on Jealous Devil. The lump is great and their new briquettes are beyond amazing. And, I've never found kiln concrete in a big...ever.

Yes sir !! team JD !

I stopped buying Lump for this very reason. Its either foreign objects, or a half a bag of crumbs.

Same here.
We do have a high end fireplace/grill/wood stove place on the far side of town that I keep meaning to check out.
Maybe they carry some of the better brands.

I'd rather toss out the occasional moon rock than deal with all the ash of briquettes. I stick with BGE or Rockwood Lump and very rarely find trash in it. If you don't buy generic Briquettes then don't buy low-end Lump like Royal Oak or Cowboy :)

I have a friend in Arlington TX that has used Cowboy ever since I have known him. He switched to B&B Lump. He likes the Oak and adds in Pecan branches from his golf course and mesquite limbs from his hunting lease. Said once he used B&B that’s what he’ll use. I don’t recall specifically why, don’t remember it being non coal objects, he just likes it better for the way he manages his fires. He cooks every day except for lightning. He’s a member here, just doesn’t post much

His cookers:
OG Oklahoma Joe Offset
Tiernan SOB Offset (Custom)
Tiernan SOB 34 (internal firebox or grill)
Fire Pit with grate
Blackstone
Gasser-Big

I've been the (seemingly) lone "defender" of Cowboy for several years now. :grin:

I've bought dozens of bags when on clearance, and honestly, I've had very little to complain about. Maybe a few small pieces of non-coal stuff. Nothing "toxic". It's not the best lump I've used by any means, but it's a usable fuel and, even in it's low lump status, smells better than the best KBB. :razz:

And the sparks are cool in the dark!

It is the walls of the kiln they make the lump in. It gets hot enough little pieces of the walls and floor shatter off all the time. That being said that is he biggest piece I have seen.

They are using the wrong refractory if it is shattering all the time.

I've had fist sized rocks come out of royal oak and cowboy lump. I just watch what's coming out of the bag while I load it into the chute. I buy b&b when I see it but not many places carry it near me.

Every so many bags they add a surprise to a bag. If they didn't add that prize people on forums wouldn't have anything to bitch about.
But, they would just find something else to complain about.

Back