MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #16
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Default smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTong View Post
You can never have enough guns, fishing rods, and cookers...
Or Guitars ....
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #17
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Hmm .... lots to think about. Lemme see if I can address questions and narrow this down a bit.

Why Grilla? I built a spread sheet and have 9 pellet grills listed. Grilla Silver back AT, Traeger 885, and RecTec-700 seemed to be the top 3. This was based on listed options/features and a LOT of reading feedback and comments on this Forum. This won't be moved around much, if any, ever. Mobility isn't an issue. It will live on the upper back deck but I'm thinking the AT just so I can move it around to clean it or reposition it on the deck to accomodate entertaining and such. Not absolutely welded to the idea of a Grilla but there comes a point of 'close enough' on a decision is better than messing around for weeks on end trying to make a 'perfect' decision.

The pellet grill is the one I'd pick if I could only pick one. I thought I needed both but the pellet and Weber idea intrigues me. Basically the komodo style was to do steaks. A Weber and lump charcoal seems to solve that. Not ruling that out down the road but the 'get good with one, then get a 2nd' seems to make sense.

Really appreciate the feedback. Probably going to order Monday at the latest. I'll be checking back in all weekend.

Again, much thanks for taking the time to share experience and expertise.
The kamado is going to give you a few things over the kettle.

So IMO, you'll need both the Kettle and the Kamado.

Weber recommends no hotter than 575° in their Kettles. Lump can get much hotter than that. In short, a kamado can be made to run much hotter than a kettle and with less risk for damage to it. If you like to sear your steaks hot and fast, with less time exposure to heat, well then a Kamado will allow you to do that much better than a Weber Kettle will and with less of a chance for damage to the grill..

I severely damaged a Weber Kettle running lump charcoal in it and searing steaks on cast iron skillets and grates at extreme temperatures. I was routinely pegging it out. It would get so hot that the lid was difficult to open on it without burning your knuckles unless you wore welding gloves.

On a Kamado, running hot temps like this isn't an issue at all. Kamados, being that they are ceramic and trap heat, are also more fuel efficient than the thinner metal Weber Kettle.

Also, if you do decide to do any additional smoking aside from what you do in the pellet grill, well then a Kamado is better for smoking than is a Weber kettle.

Kettles are great though for dogs and burgers. And several other things too.

But they can't compare to a good kamado, like an Egg or a Kamado Joe, when it comes to extreme heat for say, baking pizzas or searing steaks on cast iron, smoking in colder temperatures, or at night in colder temperatures, holding steady temperatures, and the like.

Last edited by SlowmotionQue; 06-04-2020 at 04:52 PM..
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #18
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Another good option for a charcoal grill for steaks and even some smaller smokes is a PK grill. Holds heat extremely well, doesn't use a lot of charcoal, awesome two zone cooking, and will last a lifetime. I prefer the PK 360 but the classic is nice too.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
Outlander
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Victor

Really good info so far. Thank you very much for taking the time to share it. Here's where I'm at. Ordered the PK 360 this evening. It occurred to me to start with this for two reasons. Gets me in business by July 4th weekend and seems to be the 1st logical step. The pellet grill is next up. Komodo style 3rd, depending on how the 1st two go.

Now to see what type of briquette charcoal is recommended (if any) and to figure out where/how to get lump charcoal. At this time I am planning to go lump but I do want to know what I can use in a pinch. Would be nice if Lowe's carried lump charcoal.

Now to start researching temperature probes also.

Still eager to hear input, ideas and advice.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #20
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have seen cowboy lump at Lowe's

Old 06-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Really good info so far. Thank you very much for taking the time to share it. Here's where I'm at. Ordered the PK 360 this evening. It occurred to me to start with this for two reasons. Gets me in business by July 4th weekend and seems to be the 1st logical step. The pellet grill is next up. Komodo style 3rd, depending on how the 1st two go.

Now to see what type of briquette charcoal is recommended (if any) and to figure out where/how to get lump charcoal. At this time I am planning to go lump but I do want to know what I can use in a pinch. Would be nice if Lowe's carried lump charcoal.

Now to start researching temperature probes also.

Still eager to hear input, ideas and advice.
Nice choice. I've used several different brands of briquettes in my PK360 and they have all worked well. I have mostly used Kingsford but am now using Weber since I bought a bunch on clearance last year and am out of my stash of Kingsford. The Weber ones work well but produce a lot of ash. I have also used lump occasionally and usually use Royal Oak from Walmart.

If you have Facebook, there is a great group of PK owners there. It's called PK grill fanatics. Lots of good info on charcoal, cooking, setting up the grill for long cooks, etc.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #22
Outlander
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Victor

Just joined the FB group. Wow, lots of info. Thanks for the heads up.

Lowe's had Kingsford and Cowboy lump. Got some of each. Also picked up some other odds and ends.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote