MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I've been the (seemingly) lone "defender" of Cowboy for several years now.

I've bought dozens of bags when on clearance, and honestly, I've had very little to complain about. Maybe a few small pieces of non-coal stuff. Nothing "toxic". It's not the best lump I've used by any means, but it's a usable fuel and, even in it's low lump status, smells better than the best KBB.

And the sparks are cool in the dark!

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #17
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb67 View Post
It is the walls of the kiln they make the lump in. It gets hot enough little pieces of the walls and floor shatter off all the time. That being said that is he biggest piece I have seen.
They are using the wrong refractory if it is shattering all the time.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #18
Turkey Shack
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : BEN

I've had fist sized rocks come out of royal oak and cowboy lump. I just watch what's coming out of the bag while I load it into the chute. I buy b&b when I see it but not many places carry it near me.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #19
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
Cowboy lump is like a cereal box with a prize inside.
Good luck collecting the whole set.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #20
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Every so many bags they add a surprise to a bag. If they didn't add that prize people on forums wouldn't have anything to bitch about.
But, they would just find something else to complain about.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #21
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

I stopped buying Cowboy when I found a piece of painted wood in a bag. Nails seemed to be pretty common with them too. So far, I have not found any prizes in my bags of Jealous Devil or Fogo.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #22
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Cowboy is junk. Bad, camp fire , creosote type aftertaste. But then Royal Oak isn't much better either. Both are liable to have rocks, pieces of metal and whatever else in the bags too.

I've found that if I want good lump charcoal, then it has to be Jealous Devil, Kamado Joe, or Fogo all three are good. Neither is cheap though.

Last edited by SlowmotionQue; 06-06-2020 at 12:43 AM..
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #23
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
I've been the (seemingly) lone "defender" of Cowboy for several years now.

I've bought dozens of bags when on clearance, and honestly, I've had very little to complain about. Maybe a few small pieces of non-coal stuff. Nothing "toxic". It's not the best lump I've used by any means, but it's a usable fuel and, even in it's low lump status, smells better than the best KBB.

And the sparks are cool in the dark!

Your not alone.... I've used Cowboy for over 8 years now since they cleaned up their act. I buy a half of a pallet at a time and have never had any foreign material. I have the same luck when I play the lottery, but I don't feel left out.

For those that talk about dust; the dust and small fragments are created when the retail stocking merchandiser roughly handles the bags, or stacks other palleted material on them. Lump charcoal is almost pure carbon which makes it very fragile. When the bags are filled with lump at the factory, they have a rotary or vibrating screen to remove smaller pieces and dust. The collected dust and small pieces are then used in the briquette making process.

To those who don't want dust or small pieces, pick your own bags, take them from the center of the pallet where they have the most protection. Slowly turn the bag from end to end, this can easily spot a bag of lump with many broken pieces in it.

I stopped using briquettes after hurricane Katrina hit the golf coast. So much structural and tree debris to process and most of it went into briquettes. I worked for a company that built the temporary kilns and the processing machines to handle the never ending clean-up process. I got to see the charcoal making process front and center.

I will say that this is probably one of most memorable surreal pictures from that disaster.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote