Finger on the trigger...Masterbuilt GF

FLHX

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Yea or Nay? What say ye Brethren?

Buying another smoker is always a good idea.

aff1f73a56f984e7c8ff2065ce87040b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am waiting for some kind of clearance deal on one. Probably won't happen, but I am a little sketchy on the $500 price tag when the durability seems questionable.

I am waiting for some kind of clearance deal on one. Probably won't happen, but I am a little sketchy on the $500 price tag when the durability seems questionable.

Agree. I own 5+ MB smokers (some retired), and they have probably the thinnest, cheapest metal of all brands on the market. Most i spent on one was $350 a long time ago, and i only bought one on sale recently for $150 because i wanted another electric for low temp (warmer purposes)

btw, how does aluminum rust? I have done aluminum siding for over 40 years, and i have yet to tear off aluminum siding that is rusted. So why is the aluminum side walls on my MB smoker starting to rust?

Last edited:
If you've got the money to burn I say go for it. I've seen nothing but good things in terms of the reviews. As the owner of a similarly priced pellet grill (camp chef) I definitely wish this had been an option before I'd bought it.

What worries me with these is the thin metal and the burn plate.

They say they use fire brick but from what I've heard, it's just insulation.

Questionable to say the least.

What worries me with these is the thin metal and the burn plate.

They say they use fire brick but from what I've heard, it's just insulation.

Questionable to say the least.

I read a statement from Masterbuilt stating that thin plates used to keep the replaceable firebrick in place during shipping. The plates will burn thru. I don't know where the "insulation" thing is coming from. Contact MB yourself if you are concerned and get it from the horse's mouth.
The sheet metal used on for the 560 is not the thickest I've seen, however it's not the thinest either. It is double walled, so that's good. Will it be a generational hand-me-down? Likely not, but for $500, it's a great way for someone to get into a great performing gravity fed. Frankly, I'm shocked at how versatile it is and how well it performs and I'm a picky guy. It almost feels like I'm cheating when I use it. Like they say, don't knock it till you've tried it...or at least know someone who has.

I read a statement from Masterbuilt stating that thin plates used to keep the replaceable firebrick in place during shipping. The plates will burn thru. I don't know where the "insulation" thing is coming from. Contact MB yourself if you are concerned and get it from the horse's mouth.
The sheet metal used on for the 560 is not the thickest I've seen, however it's not the thinest either. It is double walled, so that's good. Will it be a generational hand-me-down? Likely not, but for $500, it's a great way for someone to get into a great performing gravity fed. Frankly, I'm shocked at how versatile it is and how well it performs and I'm a picky guy. It almost feels like I'm cheating when I use it. Like they say, don't knock it till you've tried it...or at least know someone who has.

Certainly wasn't knocking it. It looks like it would be a great cooker.

Bought a 560 middle of January. There's only two of us so it seemed like it would be ideal for us. Turn to find out if you want to really multi task, there's not enough room on the main grate for me. When the 1050 came out, I found one in a store in north Texas and drove up one day and picked it up. Lot's of little things make it a nicer grill. Porcelain lined cooking chamber, storage drawer, folding shelf (even if it does seem like an afterthought), sturdier legs and full shelf on the bottom, redesigned drip tray, but I just keep a plastic bucket under the tray. And of course, double the cooking area of a 560 grill. So although the OP didn't specify which GF model I would recommend the 1050 instead of the 560

Back