Plate short ribs

ice_mf_mike

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So i just got some plate wagyu short ribs from snake river farms. A few questions:

1. I notice most recs are to smoke at 275. Why not lower temps?
2. Is there an internal temp you cook to or is it like brisket smoke until it probes tender? Is that typically around 203?
3. Is there a particular side you place them on?
4. Dry brine?

Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Cook at whatever temp your cooker prefers to run. I prefer 275 because my drums will run all day at that temp. I cook on the grate until the bark color is where I like it, and then foil with some liquid, beef stock mixed with rub, or anything flavorful, and then continue cooking until tender. Going by internal temp isn’t reliable since every piece of meat is different and will finish at a different internal temperature. Also, the IT will be different depending on the cook temperature.

I’ve only ever done them once and they were amazing. My cook ran around 240-250 and I purposely wrapped late at 185 based on the mad scientist video. Best bark I’ve ever seen on my Kamado. They can take it too it’s similar to brisket point so more forgiving than a flat. Can’t imagine how succulent a Wagyu one will be I’m sure it will be ridiculous. I pulled around 202-203 was probing like butter.

Cooked a set last week. I would wrap in butcher paper next time once it looks the way you want. Afraid tinfoil will soften up the bark too much. Any way you do it though they are scrumptious.

Mine didn't probe completely tender until about 206. I started testing at 198.

I do mine just like Ron ^ but I keep my drum around 225° for the first 90 minutes (if possible), then it settles into the ~275° range for the rest of the cook.

Thanks. Roughly how long should it take?

My plan is to smoke around 225 for an hour or two and then 275 until done.

its around 7 lbs.

I have cooked quite a few racks of plate ribs and can honestly say every rack came out great. Up until the last rack I did them nekid bone side down fat side up (cooking on a regular HOS). Usually probe tender in 5 to six hours at 275 to 290 plus I like to use a water pan. The last batch I did I put two plates in a large disposable hotel pan and cooked 3 1/2 hours uncovered then sealed them up with foil, they were fall off the bone after 4 3/4 hours total. They were some of the best I ever did. As others have said beef plate short ribs are hard to mess up and always delicious, best tasting slow cooked beef on the cow.

I run mine at a lower temp at first, 250 or so then and kick it up to 275 or so after a couple hours.
Keep in mind, there will be a stall.

Back