anyone here own a small green egg?

koloa

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
hi,
im looking to buy my first green egg for primarily grilling. how portable is this model? how long till after a cook, could i pack it up and place it back in my trunk?

thanks all

any pics of small green eggs would be nice as well. :icon_bigsmil

Todd does.... hopefully he will chime in... but if you search for plowboys, and plowkids, egg, etc. together... you will find pics of his I'm sure.

He also has some on his blogsite of the Small Egg Michael uses.

Here is mine...

SmallEgg003.jpg

and here it is next to my large for comparison.

SmallEgg004.jpg

It weighs 65 pounds so it is movable by one person. My table doesn't have wheels, but using a nest or a table with wheels would make it easier.

How long after cooking can you handle it? That depends on how hot you were cooking and the outside temp. Once all of that ceramic is hot it holds heat very well. Mine sits in the back yard, so I've never paid attention to the temp as it cools down. Lots of guys use Eggs for competition so maybe they can help.

BTW, my small has become my weekday goto grill. It is perfect for two people. Two steaks, two chops, four burgers or six brats fit in there very nicely. Here is six brats sizzling away happily.

SmallEgg007.jpg

The smalls are easily handled by one person. I've never handled ours after a cook as ours is in a small table. The ceramic holds heat very well, which is good for cooking, but not so much for handling. I don't know how hot the firebox area is on the outside. The dome can get pretty warm, but you can touch it. I'd guess the firebox is going to be pretty hot for a while.

Have to agree with what Ron said about how hot you're cooking. I used my small in a steak contest last spring and had it like at 550 for about 30-45 min and it was about 1 1/2 hours before I loaded back into my truck. It's not so much the heat on the bottom of the egg, but just all around that makes carrying it difficult when hot. If you are going to put in a trunk I wouldn't do that until I knew for sure it was cool. You can also remove all the lump left over at leave the lid open to help it cool faster.

I put mine in the small nest and it works well.

I wouldn't let the cool down times worry you though. Just general safety precautions a person should take with any type of grill.

I mainly use mine for beans and chili. A Lodge 5 qt dutch oven fits perfectly inside.

HogAppleBeans102508bMedium.jpg

I can carry it by myself but I would prefer to mount it in a table and leave it in a fixed location. Everytime I move it I'm scared to death I'm gonna break it.

I'm wanting a Large BGE bad; I watch CL everyday. From what I was told when I first bought my small is that a perfect Egg combo is one Large and one Small. I'm working hard to get my little buddy here a companion. :wink:

Wouldn't the egg be too tall for your trunk so you would have to transport it on its side?

I strap my medium sitting up in the back seat with the seat belt. It really is on the verge of too heavy to do that by myself.

Back