Found on self at Walmart - New ~ Original Kingsford

Hook_Line_and_Sinker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK this was as far away from the normal place they have charcoal as possible in the store - in the food section near picnic /party supplies

although there are many of the new kingsford briquet's all over the garden area and where they stock the BBQ NONE of this stuff pictured were stocked there or displayed --- ???

we know that walmart has very distinct plans for lay outs and where items MUST be placed and they send out MAPS to each store to indicate where EVERY ITEM HAS TO BE --- then whats up ??

I took the pic - left the goods - will grab a bag on the next trip before this week end

Attachments

• New Kingsford.jpg
    New Kingsford.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 214
Man for the cost of gas I would have just bought 2 bags right then. I wonder if they are just touting Being the original manufacturer of briquetts or in fact the old style/compisition.
Did you know Kingsford charcoal was a biproduct of manufacturing process at Ford Motor company?

aboutus_1.jpg
right_top.jpg
about.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

about_car.gif
And has been since the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for turning wood scraps from the production of Model T's into charcoal briquets. He built a charcoal plant, and the rest is history.
The Kingsford Company was formed when E.G. Kingsford, a relative of Ford's, brokered the site selection for Ford's new charcoal manufacturing plant. The company, originally called Ford Charcoal, was renamed Kingsford® Charcoal in his honor.
Today, the Kingsford Products Company remains the leading manufacturer of charcoal in the U.S. More than 1 million tons of wood scraps are converted into quality charcoal briquets every year.
Barbequing with charcoal has become immensely popular since Ford's time, and even today, more people prefer the taste of charcoal-grilled food to gas. *
Bring some of that deliciously smoky flavor home today and taste for yourself how superior charcoal-grilled foods can be. Kingsford products are available nationwide at grocery stores, mass retailers, drugstores, warehouse clubs and home centers.
*In a blind taste test sponsored by the Kingsford Company, 2 to 1 participants preferred the taste of charcoal-grilled food to gas. The research was conducted with 796 men and women ages 18-54 in Sacramento, Dallas, Tampa and Chicago in June 2000.

Participants were asked to compare chicken, steak or hamburgers cooked over Kingsford Charcoal to those same foods cooked over gas. Across all meat types, most people liked charcoal-grilled foods better. Tasters commented that meat grilled over charcoal “has a real barbecue flavor,” “has a smoky flavor” and “tastes like it was grilled over a real wood fire.”

spacer.gif
left_bottom_corner.gif
logo_small.gif
ml_sm_logo.gif
© 2003 The Kingsford Products Company. All Rights Reserved. Home / Legal / Privacy
right_bottom_corner.gif

ITs the new kingsford in a retro bag. I bought a few bags last time i was in wally world. It was on pallets where they normally keep the kingsford. Remember K side up facing north is the proper way to get a good clean burn and no ash.

yes I was aware of Ford being the inventor of briquettes from scrap.

he also required that his suppliers "package" or Crate the supplies he bought from them in specific woods and sizes

like the crate must be constructed of 4 foot long by 6 X1 inch oak boards ( for instance) the reason behind it was that the crate materials were also used in making the cars and were in essence free and in the proper rough dimensions for the destined part that they would become. some cutting and shaping and the parts were done and practically free. plus the saw dust and scraps became a charcoal briquette that was sold at a profit

I pass by that store 2 times a day ( commute mod) and drive a hybrid ( long commute mod)

the bags seem to tout being the old stuff --

now I have a real bag of the original (several actually)

what would be an accurate way to do a side by side on these --

The only way that I could conceive of a fair test would be side by side eggs on the same butt ( bag butt halves) ... and since you the only two egg person I know local would you want to take a crack at it ?

Retro K! Gotta love the marketing. How much was it?
Keep yer K's up and yer grooves down!

well that might be the other retro bags

see here

pACE3-4662676dt.jpg

pACE3-4662677dt.jpg

above have the yellow swish of the new fire groove product

below no yellow stripe of the fire groove product

attachment.php

the other retro bags seem to all mention the grooves

no indication of grooves on these bags

the Spanish just says "charcoal briquettes"

they were nearly $7 a bag if I recall right 6.79

Nope no mention of grooves but they are there, on every briquette in the bag:p.
Also look at the text at the top of the bag same as the fire groove one. "Ready Faster. Burns Longer"

Looks like one of these bags at wally world will be developing a hole in it ( check for grooves mod)

that one looks like it is recklessly perched on the shelf and could suffer the Humpty Dumpty mod :arrow::arrow::arrow: :eek: :icon_blush:

heard over the PA at Wally World! Clean up on aisle 10

Ive gone to grab a bag off the shelf and ripped the top open lol.. charcoal everywhere. I grab another bag and move on lol.

This is definately the new crappy kingsford with the grooves in a different bag. Dont waste your time taking a trip to WalMart to pick it up, unless you need charcoal and like Kingsford. There is no hope of the old stuff coming back. The 18lb bag should of thrown it off too. Stupid grooves, longer and hotter my ass. Just saves them 2 lbs a bag!

Those sunzabeeches at wally-world tricked me too! About 3 weeks ago I saw those bags and I almost cried tears of joy! I took 4 bags home only to find they were the new stuff! :mad::mad::mad:

2 nights ago I got almost 14 hours out of a full ring of the new stuff in my WSM... Is the new stuff really that much worse? I just "restarted" using charcoal after a 6 year trip to the interplanetary school of gas is better. NOT.

Sometimes we all lose our minds a little.

Personally, I like the new K. I've used it in my drums at 2 comps recently. In the drum that I'm using for my brisket, I'm loading about 15# and it's burning long enough that I do my chicken in the same drum after pulling and wrapping the brisket the next day. That's a total of about 18 hours and there's still plenty of heat after that. Granted there's a bit of ash, but I clean my smokers after every cook anyway so buildup is not an issue for me.

This is the stuff Big Brother Smoke was talking about the other week. I saw it myself last wknd when I was grabbing more RO and figured it was a scam. Thanks for putting up the photo of the bag, it wasnt on Kingsfords site last time I checked.

Returned to the Walmart to confirm if this is or isn't the new stuff

I made a careful examination of the bag front and rear and was horrified to find ONE VERY SMALL YELLOW SEAL @ 1 inch in dimension which mentioned the Fire Grooves

THIS STUFF IS NOT THE ORIGINAL and the sleazy, deceptive labeling is a crime! Certainly NOT what i would expect form a company that I have spent many years buying their product though their distributors

For them to have the word "ORIGINAL" prominently printed in many sizes all over the bag then to all but hide the fact that its not really original, except for the smallest of mention on the back side of the bag is paramount to stealing from its own customers! as a few here have purchased bags marked in this fashion and have been burned in a scam perpetrated the company they are trying to be loyal to.

If someone was selling a knock off Kingsford packaged in this manor they would have a heard of lawyers beating the streets to eradicate the source. What explanation to they now have for their customers.

And beyond all the bad blood they are causing, they are actually bringing to the market a sense that their new stuff isn't up to par compared to the "original"

And beyond all the bad blood they are causing, they are actually bringing to the market a sense that their new stuff isn't up to par compared to the "original"
Exactly, which has led me to the fact that when my Rancher stash is gone I will switch to something other than K. Probably Sams choice seeing as how we dont have much else around here to pick from and it is made by R.O.

Back