MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #31
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I have been cooking my briskets...HNF....and love the reduced cooking time.

I have only done about 6-8 briskets now. The first few...I was is trying to pull at 200ish IT and they were tough and dry...I probed and didn't know what "like butter" felt like....always pulled early thinking ...thinking I was overcooking. Then I let one go...it didn't probe until 212....bam!! got it...now I understand and don't pull early any more.

The hardested in thing is you have 30 plus dollars invested in a packer and you don't want to pharq it up....let alone disapppoint your guests.

Patience and probe are the keys.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
Remember to plan out what you do and keep notes of time / temp and what you do. Most of all remember to just have fun!
So true...I need to start keeping a consistent log until it becomes more second nature. I always think I'll remember the specifics of a cook. Unfortunately, the next cook is sometimes a relearning experience.

Thanks again for all the insight..lots of food for thought. I know everyone has a preferred method and there are many ways to get a great result. I guess in the original post, I was trying to determine what people thought was the more "forgiving" method for a first timer and would get the most consistent results.
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I've only done (2) packers on my UDS...but decided from the beginning to go HNF and never look back. The first was "pretty dang good" - the 2nd one I could have sold door-to-door ...but we ate it all. 12lbs @ 280-300 for 2 hours, foiled for(about) 4 hours. Pulled at "buttah" - and let rest in an empty cooler, swaddled in towels for 2hours.
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I've only done (2) packers on my UDS...but decided from the beginning to go HNF and never look back. The first was "pretty dang good" - the 2nd one I could have sold door-to-door ...but we ate it all. 12lbs @ 280-300 for 2 hours, foiled for(about) 4 hours. Pulled at "buttah" - and let rest in an empty cooler, swaddled in towels for 2hours.
What was the difference between the two cooks?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

hmm- what was different between the two- to be honest? the salt/pepper/garlic/onion was applied a "bit heavier" on the second.... and on the first one I *may* have not let it rest a whole 2 hours- hey, I was hungry.
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
FIREPIT
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post

Follow the rules they will never ever fail you.
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.
Priceless advice, thank you Bludawg!

[SIZE=2]Gator Pit Party Gator 24X42 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]22.5" WSM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]22.5" Weber Performer Gold[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CG Akorn[/SIZE]
Thermapen, Black [COLOR=black]with [/COLOR][COLOR=red]Red Flames[/COLOR] (fastest)

[SIZE=2][B]"Spare rib anyone?" - Adam[/B][/SIZE]
FIREPIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #37
glaudds
Got Wood.

Default First one done!

First brisket done..11 lb. prime packer. Cooked at 275 until probe tender. To my noob palate, it came out pretty good. The thin end of the flat was not as tasty as the rest of the brisket...but still quite edible. Is it because it was thinner and dried out or did I pull it too soon? That area was the only part that didn't probe like "buttah." Thanks again for all the input!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #38
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks really good. I always look for a Flat that has a tail min 1" in thickness.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #39
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I've become a fan of hybrid cooks too. Start out low (my low is 250) for an hour or two, then crank up the heat to 300-325 for the rest of the cook. Best of both worlds because you get to lay some smoke on the meat in the beginning, then you can power through the stall.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks like you did a fine job

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #41
Blah64
On the road to being a farker

I prefer low & slow for briskets just because the timing works out so much better/easier for me.
Blah64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Operate at the temp your cooker likes to ride and pull when the thickest part of the flat probes tender.

Look like I'm learnin' sumthin' up in here? :D
Yes sir!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote