MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Default What brand of chicken is your preference? Taste/Cost

I was reading LAMJ's thread entitled "chicken thighs" and the work that was put into them to make them boneless, trimmed, and skin scraped of fat, which was kind of where the thread was going: a universal disgust for the process, but a love of the finished product (greasy nasty cutting board full of chicken slime and a lot of work, but great bite-through skin).

So this begs the question. Are the brands that are "air cooled" or "free-range" or "organic" that are vastly more expensive per pound than the store brand worth it in terms of taste, labor savings, and value?

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.

Last edited by legendaryhog; 07-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: typo
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

the ones at sams... lol Sanderson Farms i think.. i don't think that it matters ther brand.. as long as its fresh..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I mostly buy Mary's Chickens, and they are pastured, air-chilled, I think they are organic. They definitely taste a lot better, with much better texture. Allegedly they are safer to eat as well, I could care less about that.

But, I can definitely tell the difference in taste and texture from all of the regular supermarket brands of chickens out here. Right down to how the skin takes marinades, how the meat takes marinades, how it handles and bones. A whole lot different.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Bludawg

Sanderson Farms

Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

My preference is Tyson because it's the only chicken I see for 99 cents /lb lol. (I'm always looking for deals because I don't make a lot of money.) I always buy whole chickens and cut them up because individual pieces are much more expensive, and also I make REAL homemade chicken stock with the cut out backs and leftover bones.

At one time I looked into pastured organic whole chickens -- chickens without overly large genetically engineered breasts. However they were like $7.99/lb and I just can't afford that! So I buy the cheapest chicken I can find if I can't have a proper chicken.

Once I get my own home I might start raising them in the back--pastured & freerange--fed organically. So they will be more affordable than $7.99/lb.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I have been told by a highly reputable competitor that the organic chicken thighs have very little fat under the skin. Personally I use Costco thighs and can get bite through skin without scraping.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
the ones at sams... lol Sanderson Farms i think.. i don't think that it matters ther brand.. as long as its fresh..
All of the chicken at my Sam's is "enhanced." I complained, particularly since it was labeled "100% Natural" but nothing has changed. (It's not Sanderson Farms.)

Sanderson Farms is carried in a lot of other groceries around here and I do buy that because it is not enhanced and is frequently on sale.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
caseydog

Costco has a brand of all-natural chicken that I like. It is not the organic brand they sell, just chicken that is not shot up with stuff and enhanced before packing. I just ran out, so I don't have a package to look at for the brand. But, if you are a COSCO member, it is easy to find, and if you are not a member, I guess it doesn't help you to know the brand.

BTW, Kroger Simple Truth branded products are pretty good, too. They have both "all-natural" and "organic" chicken. Here in the Dallas burbs, I often find it marked down because people here either buy name-brand, or whatever is cheapest -- mostly name brand.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Bell & Evans

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
RatRod
On the road to being a farker

Costco all natural.... As a bonus it comes freezer packed that are perferated cause I'm lazy and when I do a meat run it saves on food saver bags
RatRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I happen to be lucky where I live and the main supermarket chain here mostly stocks Miller's poultry. They are a small family-run Amish farm only about 50 miles away. Not always the cheapest when compared to Tyson or other big names on the shelves, but you can taste the difference in quality.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
My preference is Tyson because it's the only chicken I see for 99 cents /lb lol. (I'm always looking for deals because I don't make a lot of money.) I always buy whole chickens and cut them up because individual pieces are much more expensive, and also I make REAL homemade chicken stock with the cut out backs and leftover bones.

At one time I looked into pastured organic whole chickens -- chickens without overly large genetically engineered breasts. However they were like $7.99/lb and I just can't afford that! So I buy the cheapest chicken I can find if I can't have a proper chicken.

Once I get my own home I might start raising them in the back--pastured & freerange--fed organically. So they will be more affordable than $7.99/lb.
Great minds think alike I but whole birds too at .88 lb I can afford to cut & Vacusuc cheaper.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

I get Tyson All Natural( yeah right) without additional solution from the local market. I find it strange that Walmart has the same Tyson "All Natural" but with 12-14% added for about the same price.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Hoggy Style
Got Wood.

SMART CHICKEN is all I ever use. Great flavor and texture
Hoggy Style is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Sams here seems to carry sanderson farm..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote