Smoked bologna

Pig_Farmer

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I decided to try doing some smoked bologna. It came out pretty good. Got a 15lb bologna and cut it in 3rds. I did a hot & spicy, a savory, and a sweet. Turned the sweet flavor into burnt ends. I was kinda of disappointed with the lack of smoke flavor. I smoked them for about 4 hours. Not sure why the lack of smoke flavor.

Attachments

• 20211205_150613.jpg
    20211205_150613.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 20211205_150633.jpg
    20211205_150633.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 20211205_150637.jpg
    20211205_150637.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 346
I’ve found that if I smoke a chub of bologna (smaller than yours) that after smoking if I place it in a baggy in the fridge for a few days it seems smokier. I usually score about a 3/4” no seasoning

Yours looks great

I’ve found that if I smoke a chub of bologna (smaller than yours) that after smoking if I place it in a baggy in the fridge for a few days it seems smokier. I usually score about a 3/4” no seasoning

Yours looks great

Thanks. I will give it a taste in a few days.

Hard to get the smoke to penetrate it. I slice into 1/2 in. thick and let it marinate in the rub overnite to get some flavor to go with the smoke. The end piece of a smoked chub is always the best because the extra surface area exposed to the smoke.

Looks like you did everything right, did you use a mild flavored wood? Maybe jump up to pecan or hickory. I've never smoked smaller cubes (say 2" X 2") but maybe that would be a smokier product.

HERE is a link to my article on bologna, but other than some different pictures of the process, nothing stands out that would help.

Looks good from here, Carl!

I still need to give that a try, as I'm a smoked bologna virgin.

Curious to hear how the wrap/wait scenario works out for you.

Looks like you did everything right, did you use a mild flavored wood? Maybe jump up to pecan or hickory. I've never smoked smaller cubes (say 2" X 2") but maybe that would be a smokier product.

HERE is a link to my article on bologna, but other than some different pictures of the process, nothing stands out that would help.

I used hickory and b&b lump.

So I read your blog. I'm wondering if I should have gone longer on the time for the size of chub.

Last edited:
Looks good from here, Carl!

I still need to give that a try, as I'm a smoked bologna virgin.

Curious to hear how the wrap/wait scenario works out for you.

Thanks Marc. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how It goes. I'll follow up.

Ok, so here is the follow up. After listening to the advice of others, thank you Adams, I waited a few days before hitting the bologna again. I sliced a small piece and tried it cold. Verdict was, not bad. It had a little bit more smoke flavor to it and was still tasty. I sliced off a thicker piece, threw it on the skillet and fried it up with some habanero jack cheese melted on top. Toasted some bread, a little mayo, a little guac, and bamm! One hell of a good sandwich. Next time I smoke a chub of bologna it will be smaller, I might get more smoke penetration that way.

I cut 1 inch slits in it lengthwise,several of them.Rub and season as wanted.Smoke low and slow on a rack for several hours,3-4.I then let it rest and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices and grill or griddle til it gets a little char on the outside.Serve on buttered,toasted buns with slaw and mustard or a q sauce.Don’t do it often but it is a tastee treat.

Another reason the delayed dining may appear smokier. It’s been pretty well discussed how senses dull after being in and out of smoke for many hours. Then later that day or following day your senses return after not being drowned in smoke.

Perhaps a combination of the wait and storage. Regardless, Bologna is a good thing. Fried bologna is a great thing.

Now I’m inspired. Must go fetch a chub.

I am with you Adams. Feel inspired to try this during my Christmas break! Does the rub need to be low salt? I tried smoked spam and used a rub with normal salt and it was salt overload!

Have never done one so can't comment about smoke taste but can definitely say that's some mighty fine looking baloney right there, Carl.

Slice it in half, down the middle, creating two half moon shaped pieces. Then cut one or two slits down the length of the pieces. That will give you maximum surface area for smoke penetration and the slit(s) will keep the slices from curling up when you fry it.

Back