Favorite commercial brisket and chicken rubs

Melrod59

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What's up Brethren!! What are your favorite commercial brisket and chicken rubs?? I'm trying to branch out a bit.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mel

Brisket: Oakridge Black Ops or SuckleBusters SPG with 1836.

Chicken: I'm still on the hunt for a good chicken rub.

For the past year or so I've kind of "defaulted" to something from Oakridge BBQ. And by "defaulted" I don't mean "settled", it's just that I really like their stuff and can always find something from them for exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I guess I'd either go with SPOGOS or Black Ops for brisket and one of the pork and chicken or game bird seasonings for chicken.

Chicken: SuckleBusters Clucker Dust, Bolner's Fiesta Brand Chicken Rub

Brisket/Beef Ribs: Never used one...I always make my own.

Brisket - Oakridge Black Ops

Chicken - Loot N Booty Gold Star Chicken Rub, Big Poppa’s Money Rub, Plowboys Yardbird

For brisket, my go to was Big Ron's Original, or Memphis BBQ original, depending on which one I was in the mood for, both with a layer of Turbino sugar . For the chic, a local rub from Rebel Butcher, called Rebel Rub...

Typically when I cook chicken, it's wings and I use Naturiffic Garlicy Lemon, but after listening to our own Mike Trump talking about Oakridge on a podcast, I'm now super curious to try his venison and wild game rub, on chicken.

For every manufactured rub I have tried, there are 30 I have not tried, so take that with a grain of salt...

Brisket: I usually use canning salt, cracked black pepper, roasted garlic powder, and Temper Temper (a pepper blend from Pendery's). But of the bottled rubs I have on hand, I like Rudy's Rub and Smokin' Guns Hot. I'm currently testing some Big Poppa Cash Cow, but don't have enough cooks with it to comment.

Chicken: Plowboy's Yardbird, Birds & Bones, a market re-branded rub called Olde Canadian Chicken Seasoning (It's sort of a Montreal style seasoning, but for chicken) and two of the Dizzy Pig Rubs ... Dizzy Dust, and Tsunami Spin,

For brisket I have either BPS CashCow, Double Secret Steak and or SPG. I may add a layer of TraderJoes Mushroom&Co. For chicken I have BPS Sweet Money, Adkins Western, SM Spicy Apple and Cherry. Cavender’s, Badia Complete and Cajun for different directions on grilled chicken for dishes.

My #1 choices are:
Brisket - Oakridge BlackOps
Chicken - Oakridge Secret Weapon

There are many other good rubs, no doubt... but you asked for my favs.

Commercial,,,,Brisket-Dizzy Pigs Red Eye Express.Black Ops a close second.
Chicken-Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust,glaze it with Blues Hog Tn Red.

I'm glad to see Dizzy getting upvotes, Chris is an ambassador to barbecue.

I'm glad to see Dizzy getting upvotes, Chris is an ambassador to barbecue.

I have been a big fan ever since I learned about them on the OLD BGE forum.I met him in person a few times at the Eggfests back in the day.Soild dude,solid products.He and his company make some REALLY great rubs.

For me, it's between Bone Sucking Sauce and Three Little Pigs Kansas City Championship. Those are my two favorite commercial rubs.

Have tried oakridge’s blacks ops and spogos, and while both are good, I really really dug spogos. Glad I got a big bag of it in that recent sale.

Actually I just realized my favorite for chicken based on frequency of use and versatility is Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime. So I’m going with that for chicken. Great on wings for people with a heat tolerance somewhere far below Habanero Death Dust and Crucible, but also works great on chicken for stir fry or tacos.

Back