• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

30 Hour UDS Initial Burn In

Porcine Perfection

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I finished my UDS and started the first load of charcoal. To my surprise 20 lbs. KBB burned at minimum of 250f for an amazing 30 hours! I spent the day messing with temps so it was all the way up to 350f for a time. I had the fire box made by a friend in exchange for two pork butts. Has anyone gotten that long of burn times?

Here is a picture of the box. 12" square by 12"inches deep. Four inches between the bottom of the box and the ash pan. It is a bit heavy but it is solid.

20130726_175355.jpg

A couple years ago I built one for a guy at work. When I welded an axle on the bottom to attach some wheels, I accidentally burned through in a spot that I didn't notice. When I did my initial burn, air leaked in when I tried to shut it down and I just had to let the charcoal run its course. I think it went well over 30 hours and that wasn't even a full bag. Granted, I wasn't watching temps the whole time and I am sure it cooled a bit but I was amazed at how long it kept going.

I don't know either, as I have never gone past 16 hrs on the UDS yet and never came close to running out of coals. I was amazed I ran at 700+ for 6 hrs and 275 or another 6 hrs when I did my first burns and pretty much used up the 3/4's of a basket I started with in both UDS's. I built my UDS's a bit different than most.

Wow. That is impressive. I've never loaded mine up with that much charcoal before. Probably the most I've gone is 17.5 hours @ ~250* - 270* probably on 15# of Kingsford. And that is with a 16" terra cotta pot base for a deflector.

With/using a deflector/drip pan you will be running 350 below the deflector to get 250 on the upper rack. Uses more coals, but the gravy you can make from the drippins' is the best!

Back