MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default High Plains Stormy Wings w/ Pr0n!

Yesterday evening, until about 0300 this morning was a light show of sorts. The folks up around Hereford and Amarillo dealt with severe thunderstorms and tornadoes that formed just NE of our place. (SDAR - you folks fare OK!?)

I fought through the mess to get dinner on the table: Sunday Night Wings!

Thanks to a kind Brethren in E. NC, I had some Charlie Mills Eastern NC BBQ Sauce on hand. He likes to apply it throughout the cook, while I've experimented with it as a marinade.

CINCHOUSE asked for some Jamaican Jerk wings using the sauce she made a couple of weekends ago. I hit the bird with Wicken Yanks Wings Rub and they all joined the kettle and Vortex combo.

Here's the lot on the grill.

Jerk on the Left / Charlie Mills on the Right.
A couple of slices of lime for the Jerk, and a little veg for good measure:

The Charlie Mills experimental wings were excellent. I'm thinking of a 2-step process with a post-marinade rub next time... but I don't want to mess with the flavor too much. Maybe try others' inputs/ideas with the baking powder option for better crispy skin.

Y'all have a great week!

Side Note: The fellas did a great job with the AF vs. Navy Fly-over on Saturday.

NWOTD!

Old 10-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Need more wings in my life... Great job Sir...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
tom b

Good looking wings Marc!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Stop it. I’m trying to get my wing cooking disease under control. Great looking stuff like this isn’t helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Attaboy!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Mighty fine Marc!

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

I was hoping for some of your wings this coming weekend. Yhose look damn good. Nice cook, Marc.
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
I was hoping for some of your wings this coming weekend. Yhose look damn good. Nice cook, Marc.
Cheers, Carl.

I'll have to see what we can pull off next time.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks excellent Shadow! Love the fly over too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Good looking grub. I'll take 4 jerk wings, please.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #11
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Great looking wings on the grill and in the air (yours look tastier, though). Very nice!!
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
gtr

Yessir!

How long did you marinate the Charlie Mills wings for? I'm wondering if marinating in some Shack Attack might be something to check out. As to the jerk wings - I'm probably late to the party, but I recently got turned on to Walkerswood, which was quite good, esp. when a little honey is added. You can't taste honey, but it does do something kinda nice - haven't put my finger on what it is yet.

Love yer wings in any form!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #13
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
How long did you marinate the Charlie Mills wings for? I'm wondering if marinating in some Shack Attack might be something to check out. As to the jerk wings - I'm probably late to the party, but I recently got turned on to Walkerswood, which was quite good, esp. when a little honey is added. You can't taste honey, but it does do something kinda nice - haven't put my finger on what it is yet.
Always a treat to hear from you, good sir.

Oh...I think I finally got the Charlie Mills in (about the same time as the rest of 'em, to be honest)... around noon-ish (vs. a 1700L cook).

The only thing I'm considering with the marinade on the wings is how long I want them to sit nekkid and dry-out in the fridge (which I have ZERO space for)... but a dry rub (in a ziptop bag), I can pull off.

I've never added to Walkerswood... but varied how much I use... - I like to go heavy-handed for flavor. I've had great results on chicken quarters, ribs, and wings. Hit 'em with lime after the cook/just before serving!

Love the Shack Attack idea. I'd love to take the wings "up the coast" into VA... and give that a shot!

Old 10-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #14
IamMadMan

Awesome wings, thanks for sharing the pictures...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Love those wings Will be around Buffalo this weekend The Hotel I am at is near the birth place of Buffalo Wings I am hoping to get there
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Charlie Mills, Jamaican jerk, wings