Perfect Prime Rib (must read)

Actually, this is VERY similar to the rib roast method listed in the recipe section by Poobah.

I loved the tutorial, though.

...Has anyone ever tried the "entombed in rock salt" technique? I've never been brave enough to try it with such an expensive cut.
This article has me wondering if a 30 min salt cure would lock in most of the juices... it works for my grilled salmon, darker color, and zero weeping of juices. when I cut into it, juice litteraly runs out of it... wonder if beef would react the same?
I don't know about "entombed", but the very heavy salting method works wonders on steak. I don't know what it would do for a roast, given the size.

John

I don't know about "entombed", but the very heavy salting method works wonders on steak. I don't know what it would do for a roast, given the size.

John

The entombed idea I was talking about is often refered to as old english prime rib, you'll get the idea of what it's about here . Not a recipe of spices I'd endorse myself, but the concept is there.

your heavy salting method is very similar (read - nearly identical) to what I've used on salmon for years with great results (3rd place 3 yrs in a row and 1st place the last 2 yrs in a row in backyard cook offs).
It seems like the concept should be the same, the salt cooks or sears the outer flesh (actually dehydrates it) and seals in moisture as a result. Maybe I need to put it to the test with an eye of round and see what I get... golly-gee-whiz, now I have to cook something... :biggrin:

KnucklHed, I do a kosher salt crust when i do prime rib. I figure that the 'crust' is no the key to prime rib; almost all of it is interior meat, and the salt does a great job of allowing the whole slice, outside and all, to stay medium rare, and it adds a nice salty little bit to the outside that I enjoy.

Nice article, John!

Back