Fatty Adapter for Drum Smokers Version 2

NY Pork Junkie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Probably 99% of the time that I'm using my PBC, I'm hanging meat, and with the stock grate, you can either hang, or use the grate, but not both, which rules out a fatty. My first attempt at cooking a fatty on my PBC consisted of me putting a fatty on the Pork Junkie pork-swing just for fun. In that thread ThingFish showed one that he had made a while back and it was awesome. You can see the picture he posted of his at the very bottom. In his, the fatty hangs vertically, so it takes up very little room in the drum. It makes adding a fatty to the smoker easy as pie! His original and probably superior version is the last pic.

I tried to think of how I could replicate his approach with what I had lying around the house. My approach consists of 50 cent tent stake and a paperclip, but by golly it works!

I basically just drilled a hole in the paperclip and then spent 30 seconds cutting a notch in the bottom of the stake with a file for the paperclip to latch onto. It held nearly 3lbs! I could have added even more weight with a longer rod. If I wanted to be real fancy, I could probably add in a SS fender washer, but I don't think that's necessary.

Anyways, it's a quick and easy solution that's cheap and easy to do. Thought I'd share. :grin:

vk5j0Dph.jpg

CH9XhaUh.jpg

FuuWzlZh.jpg

Last edited:
I thought for sure that the paper clip would fail, sending your fatty into the pit of despair.

I need to take a remedial physics course.

I thought for sure that the paper clip would fail, sending your fatty into the pit of despair.

I need to take a remedial physics course.

The last pic there was from ThingFish of his device, I haven't actually done a cook on mine. Even so, each fatty weighs 1lb out of the plastic, and my contraption hold the weight of 3lbs of washers with 0 friction, so holding the weight of 1 fatty with friction assisting should be a cinch. The trick is the little notch I made with my file at the end of the spike. The clip seats in there and won't budge. Even without the notch though it holds 10 washers, which is a hair over a pound. It's pretty secure.

I don't take risks with fatties!:-D

Back