Keeping Ribs Hot?

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cooking 18 racks of ribs this weekend. Trying to finalize my plan, with keeping the ribs hot the last piece of the puzzle. Plan is to sauce half the ribs, leave the rest dry. I plan on pulling the ribs from the smoker, saucing half, slicing into individual ribs, then pretty much serving immediately. Thinking of using disposable chafing/buffet set with the sterno fuel cans to keep the food hot.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I'm hoping there won't be enough time for the ribs to get mushy or overdone before serving.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

If you are looking to keep them hot on a serving table, load them into deep aluminum pans, put them on a folded towel on the table and wrap another towel around the pan. Cover the pan with foil or a lid, if it came with one.

They should stay warm enough for serving.

I have wrapped individual racks as they came off the cooker in foil and put in coolers with towels and held for hours and were still too hot to touch. They did get more tender fall off the bone but not mushy and no complaints from the consumers.

BillN got it right. Individually wrapped and held in a cooler or food carrier. They'll stay hot for hours.

Agree with BillN - Wrap the ribs in foil, throw a towel around them, and put them in a cooler - FTC.

They will stay serving hot.

Ribs off smoker are good for at least 30 minutes. Probably 45 minutes. Uncovered, stacked in steam pans. If service is going to take longer than that, then worry about keeping them hot.

What in the world are you cooking 18 racks for?

If push comes to shove and you don't have a Cambro or big cooler, I can tell you 15 racks of ribs can fit in an oven...

8HDGVmI.jpg

Back