MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
pull_my_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Can leaky smoker sometimes be good?

I purchased my first Weber grill a few days ago and I'm loving it. I can't believe I even purchased anything else before the Weber. Heat retention is excellent.

This leads to my question because I was grilling some chicken wings and thighs and no way was the meat cooked as long as ribs, butts, etc. However, because the grill was pretty much leak free, just the brief period I put the chicken on the grill gave it a strong smoky aroma already. I was just imagining, what if I were to smoke something for 8 hours on this thing. The smoke flavor would be way too much to handle.

I guess the downfall of the leaky smoker would be that since it leaks out so much heat, you end up using more fuel. However, with the smokers that are leak free, would all that smoke build up with no where to escape but the smoke stack be too much?

Let's hear your thoughts?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

How much wood did you use? Chunks...what size? Chips...how many and how often? Soaked or not?

Regarding a leaky smoker...my big smoker leaks a bit, and I don't find it to be a bad thing.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't think of a single reason anyone would want a smoker to leak on purpose.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
whiteboycustom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

meats will only take in so much smoke
whiteboycustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
pull_my_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

I used the lump wood charcoal. No briquettes for me. No additional wood chips or chunks were added. It was just the smoky flavor from the oak lump charcoal. I did put the lid on the chicken from time to time.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

I'm with CarolinaQue on this. It leaks a bit... so what.
All of mine leak some smoke around doors etc. Even the Weber kettles.
If your burn is clean enough, you should barely be able to see any leaks.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Chicken soaks up smoke flavor like a sponge.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Did you control temperature with the top or bottom vents? I have heard that closing down on the top vents to control temperature can do nasty things with the smoke.

Otherwise I'm at a loss. I smoke stuff for a long time on my WSM and use chunks of smoking wood and never felt that I had too much smoke flavor. Of course my 'not too much' may be your 'way too much.'

Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

DId you have a clean burning fire before you put the meat on? In other words, was it up to temp and putting out thin blue?

Regarding meat only soaking up so much smoke, that is true. But the smoke from a smoldering fire is very different than one from a clean burning fire. A smoldering fire can put off bitter, white smoke that will leave creasote residue on the meat and give it a very heavy smoke flavor.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I don't want it leaking to a point where I can't snuff out the coals at the end of a cook.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I agree that chicken can get too smoky faster than some other meats... Assuming you are getting thin blue smoke, have the top vent wide open, and regulate your heat with the bottom vent, just use less wood. When I cook any sort of chicken, I use one, maybe two chunks of wood at the start of the cook. When those are gone, that's it no more wood. Charcoal only till the meat is cooked through. And if one chunk at the beginning is too much for you, then make that one chunk smaller!
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
pull_my_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

I did have the top vent opened all the way and for most of the cook, the bottom vents were all the way opened too. I did have a hot fire and all the charcoal did ash over before I cooked.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I can't think of a single reason anyone would want a smoker to leak on purpose.
Me neither.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pull_my_butt View Post
I did have the top vent opened all the way and for most of the cook, the bottom vents were all the way opened too. I did have a hot fire and all the charcoal did ash over before I cooked.

What charcoal are you using?

- Beautiful family

Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Leaky smokers aren't necessarily a good thing.. but they can be worked with if.. the operater knows there pit.. my large offset leaks some.. because i have no gasket.. i have cooked in 20 degree weather on her and ran temps up and above 300 no problem.. and held it there..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote