ProQ Frontier vs WSM vs ???

EatLikeAGirl

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Good afternoon from London!

I've had my current smoker, Bertha, for nearly two years. In that time she's done me proud despite being a very cheap (£120 / $160) offset - thin, leaky and prone to rust. I love her dearly and have no doubt that through her faults she's taught me a considerable amount.

It's now time for an upgrade, however I have no idea what to buy...

Offsets

The ones that seem worth buying are either Horizon or Lang, but both come with a £900 / $1200 price tag which is too much for me.

Having experienced the downsides of a cheap offset, I think if it's something I want in the future I'll need to save up before buying one of the above. Unless someone knows of a decent offset, that's ~£450 / $600 and not awful...?!

Upright

Currently the two main contenders are either a ProQ, or a WSM.

This is where my knowledge has holes in it... with uprights I have no clue how big they need to be so I don't get frustrated, and what the important things are when picking one.

If it's a choice between a ProQ and a WSM then I can look into those two, but are there any others worth considering?

As an aside, does everyone else become irrationally attached to their first BBQ? Even after I buy my new one, I don't think I'll have the heart to get rid of her! I made a little collage of our best cooks...

Attachments

• Eat Like A Girl.jpg
    Eat Like A Girl.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 218
three words, five syllables

UGLY DRUM SMOKER.

no leaks like the wsm since it has no door.
Extrememly fuel efficient
Cooks food evenly and quickly
makes some delicious q
lasts forever

and last but not least, will cost you about 1/4 the price of a WSM

I am a WSM cooker with 4 total units. I had the opportunity to use both types last May during a competition at Burton Upon Trent. The Pro Q was brand new, straight out of the box. I was impressed with the tightness of the Pro Q, most likely due to the latching system that allows for adding additional rings/grates. The latches also allows for easier moving as the entire unit can be picked up are a single unit. I don't use water in the pans so the smaller pan in the Pro Q made it easier to line with foil. If you're down to just those 2 choices, the Pro Q is my recommendation. Maybe were will see each other at next year's contest as I plan to be there again.
Cheers

Attachments

• 512AD549-71B9-41DB-B72A-A28C4CFF7BDE.jpeg
    512AD549-71B9-41DB-B72A-A28C4CFF7BDE.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 161
I’m a Pro Q fan and have something similar. Where did you get the compression latches?
You should be able to pickup compassion latches at any decent hardware store.

Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll have a look at what we can get over here in the UK. My concern is that something made properly will cost a lot more than an upright - but I'll do some research and see what I can find.

Thanks! That's useful to know. I'd like to go and see both types to compare, but that's a bit tricky. I like the idea of being able to take a layer away if I don't need all the space. Do you have a link, I'll check it out!

three words, five syllables

UGLY DRUM SMOKER.

no leaks like the wsm since it has no door.
Extrememly fuel efficient
Cooks food evenly and quickly
makes some delicious q
lasts forever

and last but not least, will cost you about 1/4 the price of a WSM

Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll have a look at what we can get over here in the UK. My concern is that something made properly will cost a lot more than an upright - but I'll do some research and see what I can find!

Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll have a look at what we can get over here in the UK. My concern is that something made properly will cost a lot more than an upright - but I'll do some research and see what I can find!

the ugly drum smoker IS an upright, and can be built for under 100 USD.

see this page for ideas

http://howtobbqright.com/udssmoker.html

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Back