MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Is that the Assassin28? How much does it weigh? I've never seen a cooker crated up before - it looks like they did a phenomenal job.

I'm getting a little frustrated waiting for the guys at Pitmaker to get back to me. I might just look at one of these instead...
It is the regular Assassin, not the larger 28. Yes, they did crate it very well. It weighs about 475 lbs. I should have called a friend to help uncrate it and move it. I looked at the Pitmaker Safe but chose the Assassin mainly for the much larger cooking capacity as well as other features.

Last edited by mep; 07-17-2013 at 09:55 PM..
mep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #32
jmoney7269
Banned

That's some serious metal right there! Time to get some groceries on that baby! Nice pit!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Billdanc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Congrats brother! Nothing like cooking on a quality smoker! Insulated verticals are awesome indeed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (46.5 KB, 208 views)
Billdanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Is that the Assassin28? How much does it weigh? I've never seen a cooker crated up before - it looks like they did a phenomenal job.

I'm getting a little frustrated waiting for the guys at Pitmaker to get back to me. I might just look at one of these instead...
I know exactly what you mean. George seems like a great guy but its taken forever and I pulled the trigger on a more customed Assassin 28. Just had to do it. I asked for a quote from pitmaker on a vault, a REAL quote over a week ago after talking for a month and cooking on one of their top rigs they have built. I figured I would have been seen in a more serious position but I guess it's only a vault and not a massive trailer. Jeff and Robin were just amazing and we are going down to pick up my monster in early August. I fully plan to market the hell out of it for them here in Alabama. I bounced some good ideas on my more customed version which he loved so would be cool if he took some ideas we talked about into his line. 3 week lead time for my 28.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #35
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
It is the regular Assassin, not the larger 28. Yes, they did crate it very well. It weighs about 475 lbs. I should have called a friend to help uncrate it and move it. I looked at the Pitmaker Safe but chose the Assassin mainly for the much larger cooking capacity as well as other features.
Mines coming shortly after yours. I did the 28, configured a 6 rack. 2 racks at 5" and 4 at 3.5" like the rebel 28 and the stump stretch separation. I will have over 3700 sq inches which is larger than a maxed out stretch with their 5. That surprised me when we sorted out configurations. All will fit the large pans if needed without taking any out.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
That's a regular Assassin? Wow, thats a whole lot of cooker right there at a very good price. You might have sold me on one.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #37
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
I know exactly what you mean. George seems like a great guy but its taken forever and I pulled the trigger on a more customed Assassin 28. Just had to do it. I asked for a quote from pitmaker on a vault, a REAL quote over a week ago after talking for a month and cooking on one of their top rigs they have built. I figured I would have been seen in a more serious position but I guess it's only a vault and not a massive trailer. Jeff and Robin were just amazing and we are going down to pick up my monster in early August. I fully plan to market the hell out of it for them here in Alabama. I bounced some good ideas on my more customed version which he loved so would be cool if he took some ideas we talked about into his line. 3 week lead time for my 28.
Funny, I've never experienced a company not wanting to take my money. The economy must be pretty good in Houston these days. Too bad too because I really like those Pitmaker pits but it's pretty hard to buy one if they don't want to sell me one.

I don't quite understand why the Assassins come with a water pan. I thought they weren't needed for a gravity feed smoker. Is there a drain for it?

Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #38
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod View Post
That thing looks awesome but sheesh man you'll let anyone deliver your freight

LOL I Though The SaMe Thing.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #39
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Funny, I've never experienced a company not wanting to take my money. The economy must be pretty good in Houston these days. Too bad too because I really like those Pitmaker pits but it's pretty hard to buy one if they don't want to sell me one.

I don't quite understand why the Assassins come with a water pan. I thought they weren't needed for a gravity feed smoker. Is there a drain for it?

Well I know George and Pitmaker are extremely busy after all their tv appearances but still. I made it clear I was making my decision at the end of last week, the sell was there if he wanted it. Jeff and Robin did an outstanding job selling me and the back and forth with doing a little more customization on mine was just great. I havent even met them yet and its like ive known them my entire life, seriously good people that really wanted my business.

As for the water pan, you don't need it. It will create enough moisture, some just like to use water pans and that gives them the option.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #40
draken
Got rid of the matchlight.

That is an awesome looking smoker. Sure puts my little 30" electric job to shame.
draken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdanc View Post
Congrats brother! Nothing like cooking on a quality smoker! Insulated verticals are awesome indeed!

Not hijacking here, but the green on this one sure is nice looking!
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
treytexag

Quote:
That's a regular Assassin? Wow, thats a whole lot of cooker right there at a very good price. You might have sold me on one.
Spedly, you won't be dissappointed. I LOVE my Assassin. It performs unbelievably.

I spent years dragging a$$ all day long the day AFTER I smoked. Of course the day after a long night of smoking is when friends and family come over to help you eat BBQ - so for me, getting older and struggling on the all night cooks, the Assassin was the ticket. With the included Guru, it holds temps steady as a rock, and after checking or basting, gets back on temp asap. And yes, it holds a lot of meat.

Can't say enough about the quality and performance of my Assassin.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #43
treytexag

Quote:

Spedly, yes, the economy is booming here in Houston. With all the new shale plays, Eagle Ford, Utica, etc., oil and gas revenues are flowing despite NGL and natural gas prices being soft at the moment. Pitmaker is probably busy - but that's a guess on my part.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post
Pitmaker is probably busy - but that's a guess on my part.

That is definite. Unfortunately in my case I was making a decision at the end of last week and made it known, never received a formal quote so I pulled the trigger with the one that did. A week later, still have not received. I really enjoyed the pitmaker vault(actually liked the safe a lot better) and could not go wrong either way, but Jeff made the point to call me multiple times without skipping a beat. The little things were important to me.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #45
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

Sweet machine ya got there, but I have to admit, every time i see this thread I think of when Homer gets a pair of Air Assassins and the dog rips them up
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote