MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Winter Q, Great Bend KS

I am seriously considering making the drive from GA to have some fun at Winter Q. Any of you Brethren going to compete?
If I make the trip in February I could use a big favour to help keep my costs down. I would be looking for a couch and a shower for a night somewhere west of St Louis< probably between St Charles and Columbia on the outbound trip on or about 2/12 and then looking for a couch and a shower heading back somewhere east of St Louis, probably between Mt Vernon and Marion.
If you can lend a member a hand that would be great.
This is just in the planning stage and things are not definite yet. I am NOT gonna make the trip unless some of you guys are gonna endure the elements and cook in the cold too!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting you. Be prepared for COLD! 12 degrees last year with about an 1/8th inch of frost in the morning. My flag was frozen stiff.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting you. Be prepared for COLD! 12 degrees last year with about an 1/8th inch of frost in the morning. My flag was frozen stiff.
Better your flag than anything else.
How do the inside booths work? 10 X 10 inside will do for cooking but what about for sleeping? Is the barn heated or just a little protection from the elements.

I am looking forward to a really cold cook. Haven't down that since I left Minnesota. Love to cook in the snow.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Plowboy

There was plenty of space inside last year. I think you get a 10x10 and people tossed a cot out overnight. It is heated, with bath rooms. I don't recall showers, but maybe.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
There was plenty of space inside last year. I think you get a 10x10 and people tossed a cot out overnight. It is heated, with bath rooms. I don't recall showers, but maybe.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be able to make it happen. I sent an email to the organizer asking for a little information. Do you have any idea what the pay outs are?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

There are showers in the Armory where the judging is held. There's a Friday night appetizer contest, there's a Saturday morning potluck breakfast. Kent is a top-notch organizer, takes damn good care of his teams. I bring my cot and sleep inside....its like SUMMER in there!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wyatt and I may come to hang out that weekend. Anyone need a pit bitch?

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
There are showers in the Armory where the judging is held. There's a Friday night appetizer contest, there's a Saturday morning potluck breakfast. Kent is a top-notch organizer, takes damn good care of his teams. I bring my cot and sleep inside....its like SUMMER in there!
I agree. Kent's contests are THE MOST cooker friendly I've seen.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I am seriously considering it! I have to admit, I would love to meet some of you Midwest Brethren. There is an FBA event that weekend as well and with events the week before and after in FL, I may go that route for cost saving reasons. I will have to figure out the budgeting cause it does sound like a fun time.