How thick are your flats?

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
When I cook a brisket and separate the flat from the point, The flat is usually about 1/2" to 1" think. Is this standard or is it just me picking the wrong briskets?

The two I did last week, and most of the others I get, run 1 1/2" thick.

Is it that California beef? The soy cooks out over time? :p

Mista, I've only cooked a few but the average has been about 1 1/2". Last time at the store all that they had were thin ones like you mentioned. I left them in the store.

DO you always seperate the point and flat? I ussually leave the brisket whole and cook it.

Does it make a difference in cook time?

We're talkin' about after they're cooked, Bruno. You're doin' the right thing!

Must be the california cows. Our cows are all in good shape and relaxed.

Brian dates flat chicks.

Pass it on...

1" Brisket flats. BOT.

Usually about 3/4 inch at the "thin" corner, then up to 2 inches at the opposite "thick" corner.

Ya' gotta' remember though, good brisket is hard to come by here in Michigan. I think they get mutated along the way. :eek:

Bigmista said:
Must be the california cows. Our cows are all in good shape and relaxed.

Starving Cow Mod.

Farking tree huggers probably have California cows on a restricted diet to reduce methane emissions.

racer_81 said:
Starving Cow Mod.

Farking tree huggers probably have California cows on a restricted diet to reduce methane emissions.

So...more farts mean meatier cows?

Mista, don't they offer a farm where you can pick out your own calf and go out and massage it daily, play soothing music, and talk to it while growing. California Kobe. I'm a bad boy now. Went OT in Q-talk. I'm so ashamed.

I like thicker flats, 1 1/2" and up.

However, when you buy a trimmed brisket at Randall's, they cut off the thin part of the flat and sell those for $3.29 per pound versus 1.79 per pound for the whole brisket.

It just goes to show you that....
One man's trash is another's treasure!!!

Ok, I just had to reply to this. I am doing my first brisket this Saturday. I went to my local butcher (yep, not just a store, but a real meat market) last Friday and asked about the briskets. I had purchased a really good pork shoulder a few months ago for pulled pork and figured this is my best place to go. He told me they usually run 10 to 12 lbs. I ordered 2 10 pounders and I got them for $2.19/lb. Not bad I thought since these are packer-trimmed and I live in the SF Bay area where everything is priced higher than anywhere else in the world. So, seems to me I am getting a pretty good deal!? Anyhow, I will post some pics after my party on Saturday and see what you guys think for my first smoked brisket.

By the way, the pork was DELICIOUS! Had sammies and tacos.

John

I've noticed a correlation with weight gain and flatulence.

Let's all hope that brd stays skinny!!

OT-Neil, if you get stuck with a thin flat, slice it a bit on the bias. This will give wider slices and enhance the appearance of your smokering as well.

kcquer said:
Let's all hope that brd stays skinny!!

OT-Neil, if you get stuck with a thin flat, slice it a bit on the bias. This will give wider slices and enhance the appearance of your smokering as well.

Thanks KC! I appreciate that!

Pitmaster said:
He told me they usually run 10 to 12 lbs. I ordered 2 10 pounders and I got them for $2.19/lb. Not bad I thought since these are packer-trimmed and I live in the SF Bay area where everything is priced higher than anywhere else in the world.

By the way, the pork was DELICIOUS! Had sammies and tacos.

John

It will be priceless once you are finished BBQing it. They charge $10 a pound at the BBQ reasturant down the street, already cooked of course.

How thick are your flats?

This is Q-Talk......This is Q-Talk........This is Q-Talk.......This is Q-Talk

PimpSmoke <<<<<<Resisting the urge

Back