MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Georgia Brunswick Stew

What something new to do with your leftover que? Try some good ol Georgia Brunswick Stew. There are 100's of versions of brunswick, some have butterbeans, some don't, some have vinager, some don't, etc.
There is a que place near my house called Kennesaw BarBQue, and while they don't have the best barbeque around, I love their brunswick. I tried to pattern my recipe after theirs.
The owner won't give me his recipe, but he did tell me that he doesn't use any vinager. While mine tastes a lot like his, I do add a little cider vinager. I've never tried it with beef, but you might want to experiment. Here is my personal recipe:

Georgia Brunswick Stew

6-8 cups chopped barbeque (pork, chicken or combination of both)
2 tablespoons of your favorite rub
2 cans 28oz whole tomatoes, chopped coarse (or use whole and just mash em later) with their juice.
2 11oz cans of shoe peg corn
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinager
1 stick butter
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 tsp salt (depending on how salty your rub is, salt to taste)
1/2 tsp cayenne
Few splashes of hot sauce
2 cups water

Chop the barque up fine, then mix in the rub. Throw everything in a big pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 4-6 hours, adding water if necessary.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Did some. Good ****. You were gonna do some tortilla soup as I recall

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
smokeypig
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Papa Stu

Try using either leftover roasted, grilled or smoked chicken (shredding it first). I've been brewin' up q-stew for about 15 years. I don't add vinegar per se. Its usually in the sauce i put in (a bit of your favorite smokey/spicy barbecue dippin sauce...). its some good stuff!!
smokeypig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Heath
Full Fledged Farker

The only thing missin' from yer Georgia Hash recipe is squirrel, rabbit, rodent, roadkill, etc. We use to make it for our cookouts in this pot that was a giant turkey fryer. Original use of it was to get rid of ANY kind of meat you had layin' aroung. Hence the need to shred it into unrecognizable pieces.
Party Crew
Bandera(Highly modified), Hasty Bake, Weber Gold, Unmodified SS hot water tank, an old wood burning fireplace insert, 2 buckets, and a hole in the ground. HeHe
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2004, 03:14 PM   #5
rusold
On the road to being a farker

Man that sounds like what I call "left-over" stew
We get enough left overs and not enough energy to cook any thing new so we throw all the leftovers in a pot with pretty much the same cool seasonings you have - didn't know it actually had a "formal" name.

R
rusold is offline   Reply With Quote