Bandera Fire Basket

AUswimKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Along with building an ash pan under the fire grate, I’ve decided I want a basket as well. Last spring I used just a 12”x12” piece of 0.75”x9ga flattened expanded sheet. I’m going to fold up the same thing to make a basket. Maybe 13”x13”x3” sides. Anyone have any advice on that?

Also, I was thinking of using the 12x12 piece on the bottom of the basket as well. I would put it perpendicular to the basket bottom. Has anyone tried this? I’m wondering if it would make too small of holes and choke down the air flow. Or maybe it will hold the hot embers out of the ash longer.

One thing I did that I really like is that I used the original fire grate on top of a 0.1” thick piece of steel that sits above the fire. This acts as a warming zone and keeps the flames from torching my firebox lid.

Attachments

• 09698A1D-E8EC-47D9-8AB6-BEEBBDBBBBC3.jpg
    09698A1D-E8EC-47D9-8AB6-BEEBBDBBBBC3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 2DF13EBD-57AD-4758-9B68-0D5319290CD8.jpg
    2DF13EBD-57AD-4758-9B68-0D5319290CD8.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 94
I like the plate above the fire idea, you'll need to leave your new basket open towards the door to load splits.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250949&highlight=Fire+Basket
Post 11 shows my rev 1 basket. It's ~18"x12"x5". The rev 2 basket has a 3/8" rod bottom and removable expanded metal. You can see the rev 1 bottom starting to fail in the pic. For rev 3, I'm going to V the bottom rods down and eliminate the basket wall towards the door. I have to load through the top in the current configuration

I know I can make something like this.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4306687&postcount=5

Figure it will be 15” long (length of fire box) and have a 6” wide bottom with 6” wide sides sloped at 45deg. (Using a 15”x18” sheet) Any opinions out there?

Does anyone have an opinion if the sides should be sheet metal with holes drilled like the LSG basket - or could I get away with 0.75” expanded metal on the bottom and sides?

I like the plate above the fire idea, you'll need to leave your new basket open towards the door to load splits.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250949&highlight=Fire+Basket
Post 11 shows my rev 1 basket. It's ~18"x12"x5". The rev 2 basket has a 3/8" rod bottom and removable expanded metal. You can see the rev 1 bottom starting to fail in the pic. For rev 3, I'm going to V the bottom rods down and eliminate the basket wall towards the door. I have to load through the top in the current configuration

I was thinking of building a square basket like yours with the front open. Now I am thinking of building a V-shaped basket like the LSG.

I like the plate on top. Saves the paint and provides an area to pre-warm wood. But there is only about 7” from the grate to the plate. And the flames directly hit the plate - so the plate is sooty. So is the prewar area Wondering if any of that soot goes into the cook chamber.

Yeah, the LSG slant wall basket looks good to me.
I think plate is the way to go for sides, expanded rusts out quickly in the firebox, in my experience.
Soot is incomplete combustion - too little airflow or the fire's too cool

Back