Organizer Feedback

B

Buster Dog BBQ

There is a new contest in my state and I just saw the entry form yesterday. $250 entry includes power and water. $10k in prize money but payouts only through the top 5 in each category. This contest is a first year and expects to draw 48 teams. The entry is $250 which is about $50-100 more than all the other contest in the state. Heck, they even have a backyard that is $150 entry and only the first two places pay out more than the entry fee.

Personally I think the entry fee is too high and I was considering contacting the organizer and telling them this. Has anyone ever done that? Just curious. what was the response like? Is it worth it? I would like to see this contest succeed because there are no other ones in the vicinity.

I am sure they will get the picture when they dont reach 15 teams. :twisted: Way to high for me!

There is a new contest in my state and I just saw the entry form yesterday. $250 entry includes power and water. $10k in prize money but payouts only through the top 5 in each category. This contest is a first year and expects to draw 48 teams. The entry is $250 which is about $50-100 more than all the other contest in the state. Heck, they even have a backyard that is $150 entry and only the first two places pay out more than the entry fee.

Personally I think the entry fee is too high and I was considering contacting the organizer and telling them this. Has anyone ever done that? Just curious. what was the response like? Is it worth it? I would like to see this contest succeed because there are no other ones in the vicinity.

I think you just nailed it... there are no other ones in the vicinity... So a couple things may be going on:
1. He may be testing the supply/demand waters - to see what the market will bear, knowing he is the only game in vicinity.
2. He may need the extra entry money to help boost the prize pot... depends on his sponsors and what they are providing.
3. His venue.... are they donating it? is it given to him at a reduced cost... or is he having to pay full tilt for the location, (folks may be charging him more based on the economy as well)

I think this year will be really interesting in general to see how contests are impacted both in prize $$ and entry costs.

IT doesn't hurt to call him... but I would look for some of his drivers for the price... vs. just telling him to drop it. You might share with him the disparity between his and other Iowa events as well...
AG

IT doesn't hurt to call him... but I would look for some of his drivers for the price... vs. just telling him to drop it. You might share with him the disparity between his and other Iowa events as well...
AG

Thanks Andy. I don't want to tell someone how to run a contest but that just jumped out at me. Who knows, the venue could be top notch and worth every penny.

I am not sure I have ever paid less than 250 inclusive. That seems right in line to me.

Buster Dog,

I thought the exact same thing when I got the e-mail. $150 to cook ribs in the backyard division! :eek::eek: Will be interesting to see how many teams head down there.

Wow! And here I was thinking the $180 for St. Joseph, MO is too rich for my blood with all the $150 contests around KC!

I am not sure I have ever paid less than 250 inclusive. That seems right in line to me.

Yep. A perfect example of how different things are in each region. The Midwest cooks get spoiled by the lower costs to organizers and high density of contests. Move away from the heartland and we're thrilled to see a new contest within a four hour drive, regardless of the entry fee!

$200 - $250 is what I normally see. This one includes electric. I see a lot of contest where electric is an additional $25 (the ones with the $200 entry fee). $150 for the backyard comp seems a bit steep. $75 is more in line with what I see in the mid-Atlantic for BY.
Gettin' ready to mail a form for the first contest of the year - $250 and includes electric and water.

So have you gotten any feedback from the organizer yet?
I have not contacted him yet. We have our annual meeting next week and I am going to see what some of the locals plans are. This forum did help with some of the things we don't always think of like unique location, facility, etc. I will let you know what comes of it.

Rod,
Ask around the IBS banquet and see what the others are thinking.

We paid $215 for Waucoma - $180 at State Center - and $150 at LaPorte in 2008

Rod,
Ask around the IBS banquet and see what the others are thinking.

We paid $215 for Waucoma - $180 at State Center - and $150 at LaPorte in 2008
Yeah, State Center is still $180 with electric and extra space, Marshalltown is $150 and I am sure the others haven't increased much if at all.

The early discount is a nice touch
Pay early get $50 off the price

Back