Put the pellet pooper thru it's paces this weekend

Brandon_Lutz

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Cooked for a local charity event this past weekend. I cooked about 80lbs of Boston Butt on the Grid Iron and it came out fantastic.

I smoked them at 200F for the first 2 hours and then cranked up the heat to 250 for the rest of the cook. About 6 hours in, I wrapped them to finish them off. All in all, it took about 12 hours for everything to get to the 200 to 205 mark.

I then rested the butts in a cooler for 5 hours as I had team members coming over after the cook to help pull the meat and then turn it all into egg rolls for the event. This weekend was the first time I ever rested meat that long. I usually always go no more than two hours as I'm in a time crunch. This weekend though, I had plenty of time so I went a full 5 in the cooler.

The difference was night and day from my usual rest period. Generally with this many butts and a two hour rest, I use my shred tool on the end of the drill to make quick work of things. This time all you needed to do was touch the blade bone and the meat just fell off. Just picking the pork up from the bucket to the tin trays was all the work you needed to do for them to be perfectly pulled. It was insane and I wish I had video of it.

I've attached a couple of pictures below. I seasoned the butts with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and smoked them with a mix of B&B Cherry and Apple Pellets. With 8 butts, I had the Grid Iron basically stuffed to max capacity. You could not fit another shoulder in there and have it rest over the drip tray. Very happy with my decision when I made the purchase of the bigger unit from Blazn.

LpNf41z.jpg

NXpURnT.jpg

That last pic has me drooling. Looks great!

What all went into the egg rolls?

We purchased some wrappers from a local asian market and filled the egg rolls with:

Pulled pork with a dry Colesaw mix integrated with the meat. Basically cabbage, carrots and red onion finely cut. We used the prepackaged stuff you can get at the grocery store.

Also we had a small amount of Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce mixed into the meat mixture to give it a little twang and some of the vinegar kick. To top it off a little bit of smoked cheese was crumbled on top.

After the rolls were well.. rolled, we deep fried them in peanut oil. Then we dumped them about 6 at a time into a pan, lightly dusted them with a very light dusting of Simply Marvelous cherry and then we cut them in half and served them. I think we rolled about 300 egg rolls. I had about half of a large disposable tin of pulled pork mixture leftover that was not used as we ran out of egg roll wrappers.

This is the second year in a row at this event that we have done the egg rolls. Last year was the first time we made them and I thought the public was going to maul us at the charity event we served them at. People seemed to really enjoy them so we decided to make them again.

That said, I don't want to see another egg roll for another 12 months lol.

We purchased some wrappers from a local asian market and filled the egg rolls with:

Pulled pork with a dry Colesaw mix integrated with the meat. Basically cabbage, carrots and red onion finely cut. We used the prepackaged stuff you can get at the grocery store.

Also we had a small amount of Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce mixed into the meat mixture to give it a little twang and some of the vinegar kick. To top it off a little bit of smoked cheese was crumbled on top.

After the rolls were well.. rolled, we deep fried them in peanut oil. Then we dumped them about 6 at a time into a pan, lightly dusted them with a very light dusting of Simply Marvelous cherry and then we cut them in half and served them. I think we rolled about 300 egg rolls. I had about half of a large disposable tin of pulled pork mixture leftover that was not used as we ran out of egg roll wrappers.

This is the second year in a row at this event that we have done the egg rolls. Last year was the first time we made them and I thought the public was going to maul us at the charity event we served them at. People seemed to really enjoy them so we decided to make them again.

That said, I don't want to see another egg roll for another 12 months lol.

Thanks for the instructions, that sounds incredible. I think I'm going to try making some egg rolls next time I have some left over pulled pork

Back