Baychilla

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It'd been a long time since I'd purchased St. Louis ribs from CostCo. I'd forgotten that they come in a 3 pack and that sometimes the producer (Swift) seems to have what to me is an odd definition of a St. Louis cut. Not being a fan of using a rib rack and 3 being right out for fitting on my LBGE I was originally going to do two racks on the Egg and the third on my WSM. The more I thought about it the less of a stellar idea that seemed. It would've been a lot of fuel for not much of a cook.

Enter sous vide ribs. I opted to go the high tech route and do two racks on the Egg and the third would be cooked sv for 24 hours and then egged the following day.

The racks I did on the egg had some interesting bone structures. They were done with kosher salt, Yardbird rub and a bit too much Swamp Venom. Ok maybe a tad too much salt. They were finished with Sweet Baby Rays (I'm still trying to finish off the gallon jug I bought for whatever reason).

I went gear farming so I let the Smobot handle the cook.

The rubbed ribs
i-vHz2RMD-L.jpg

Of course the wind kicks up when I start cooking
i-hrmqBvf-L.jpg

Finished
i-t2WNwf4-L.jpg

Showing the odd bone bits
i-wPdCPNS-L.jpg

The SV ribs were dusted with Sweet Swine O Mine rub and stuck in a water bath @ 150 for 24 hours.
i-QhFcHd8-L.jpg

I think your food came out great! I also end up with breakfast ribs. :thumb: What is wrong with a rib rack? I have had to use them to expand room in my cooker and it was nice to have.

When I've used it in the past the parts facing towards the top of the egg seemed to get burned. That and laziness, I find it easier to sauce the ribs when they're horizontal rather than having to take them out, sauce and return. Plus it gave me an excuse to try the SV > Smoke route :wink:

Buy untrimmed spareribs. I've never had any surprises, except positive ones. Any trimmings can be run through a food processor to make ground pork for chili or meatloaf. I tend to put those scraps in a ziplock bag in the freezer until I have about a pound to grind. My wife wishes I made meatloaf more often, but it takes a while to collect enough of those tiny scraps that aren't cookable over coals as is.

I trimmed off the really odd looking ribs as well as the flap and some ribs that appeared to be pure cartilage. I think they'll be uses in my instantpot for pressure cooker chili verde.

Back