MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
Don Jeansonne
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Pit Purchasing Standoff

I have a Lang offset which I really like the flavor of the way she smokes but it takes time and effort. There are times when I just can't spend that much effort cooking. I do a couple of competitions per year so pit mobility is important. I am considering adding a pit that would be less effort but still has great tastes. I will also keep my Weber kettle for backup and short cooks.

Thus I am considering a Yoder 640 pellet or a Ole Hickory ACE BP (OH). Both are expensive with OH being higher. Cost is important but not the deciding factor.

The Yoder is a quality pit but all pellets don't have a strong smoke flavor although there is things to do to maximize the smoke. Many users claim adequate smoke and I don't like strong smoke anyway. I like the flexibility of the 640 with the wide temp range of low smoke to high searing/grilling. I like being able to smoke for time at 250 then raising to 500 to hot sear with one pit and little effort. A pit that can low smoke and high heat grill seems a good thing. The Yoder competition model does have the mobility that is like.Also I still have the Lang for times when I want that great all wood flavor.

The OH seems to cook more closely to the flavor of the Lang or charcoal/wood. It has max temp of 250 - 275F. Doesn't have the high temp range. OH is very high quality in build and food production. Very good reputation. It could be a replacement of the Lang instead of a supplement. The pit is not really made to move around. It has small casters difficult to load onto trailers.

I keep vacillating between the 2, Each has pros and cons that I see and probably only I can decide what is important to me. I can't seem to get over the reputation that Ole Hickory has in the bbq commercial world and high praise of the owners.

Yoder 640 -
flexible wide temp range
long burn times little attention
good mobility
lower cost
mild / low smoke flavor

Ole Hickory -
high quality construction
great wood flavor
control with little attention
heavy / poor mobility
higher cost

Please give me your opinions good and bad. Don't spare any criticisms either. This has to be my last pit purchase!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

If you can swing it is go with the better quality. If you change cookers often then save some money.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
SmittyJonz

Why Not an Insulated Cabinet Smoker running on charcoal n wood chunks?

Old 07-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
+1 that is what I would be looking at
*Da-Fridge-Smoker
*BlackStone Pizza Oven
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I went pellet and never looked back.

There are plenty of ways to add additional smoke if you so desire including wood chunks near the firebox, amazing smoker tube etc.

The convenience of pellet with that mild smoker flavor is my favorite form of BBQ now by far.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyQ View Post
+ 2 that is what I would do also
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
MasterTech
On the road to being a farker

I might recommend an insulated vertical smoker also. I ran mine Sunday for the first time with some ribs, pork butt and a bacon explosion. Started it at 4AM, meat on at 5 and minimal fiddling with temp control all day long. I did use more charcoal than anticipated, but that is something quickly learned. Temp control was super easy with no controller needed. I checked temps whenever I walked by my remote for temp probe or by the smoker. Once up to temp, it pretty well held constant. I will eventually get a controller, but that will be more for some longer term convenience. The food came out way more than just edible, but with some room for improvement (new cooker, new meats, new rubs and getting ready for a birthday party, can't complain, lol). Very happy for how things turned out and its ease of use. There will be many more long cooks in the future, something I have mostly avoided before due to time constraints and too many things going on. I definitely have to recommend that style also. Not to mention a fairly small footprint for how much can be cooked on it. This turned out much longer than the original thought of just recommending an insulated vertical too, lol

Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
KevinJ

Quote:
The Old Hickory BP is a Insulated Charcoal cooker.

The OH seems like a heck of a cooker, I follow Malcom Reed on youtube he cooks on a Yoder and OH BP, I'd bet he would tell you to get the OH if you are not going to use the cooker for grilling.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #9
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted T's Q View Post
+ 2 that is what I would do also
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTech View Post
I might recommend an insulated vertical smoker also. I ran mine Sunday for the first time with some ribs, pork butt and a bacon explosion. Started it at 4AM, meat on at 5 and minimal fiddling with temp control all day long. I did use more charcoal than anticipated, but that is something quickly learned. Temp control was super easy with no controller needed. I checked temps whenever I walked by my remote for temp probe or by the smoker. Once up to temp, it pretty well held constant. I will eventually get a controller, but that will be more for some longer term convenience. The food came out way more than just edible, but with some room for improvement (new cooker, new meats, new rubs and getting ready for a birthday party, can't complain, lol). Very happy for how things turned out and its ease of use. There will be many more long cooks in the future, something I have mostly avoided before due to time constraints and too many things going on. I definitely have to recommend that style also. Not to mention a fairly small footprint for how much can be cooked on it. This turned out much longer than the original thought of just recommending an insulated vertical too, lol
An insulated vertical cabinet smoker is a good way to go for people like yourself. You can add and reduce the wood chunks to get the flavor you want and they are pretty hands off once you have them dialed in.
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

+1 for insulated cabinet. Call up Lone Star Grillz.

Also, this won't be your last smoker. Might as well get that idea out of your head right now.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
lacajun069
Got rid of the matchlight.

Look at a Pitmaker safe or a Backwoods Chubby G insulated smoker. I have the Backwoods Chubby G2 and it does a decent job with minimum effort and offers plenty smoke flavor.
lacajun069 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

The first few cooks on my Assassin Gravity Feed smoker, I was really bored. I would sit in my recliner & stare at the Maverick receiver & wish for the pit temp to change so I could do something. I would go outside just to check the display on the IQ120 because I was bored & just wanted reassurance.I got over being bored pretty quick. Now, I get it up to temp, load the meat, set the Maverick probes, hit the recliner & turn on a ball game or movie. The Assassin & IQ120 do all the work.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
KevinJ

To each his or her own but I'd rather have the Old Hickory or a Gravity fed cooker like a Deep South, Assassin, Stumps or Southern Q than a Insulated Cabinet.

Smoke on
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
SmittyJonz

Most of the Gravity Fed ARE insulated cabinet smokers.........

Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
To each his or her own but I'd rather have the Old Hickory or a Gravity fed cooker like a Deep South, Assassin, Stumps or Southern Q than a Insulated Cabinet.

Smoke on
All are insulated cabinets just gravity feed. Same with the Humphrey's Tanks.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ole Hickory, pellet, Yoder