Old Country Pecos Longevity?

Fourwinds

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback from folks who have owned or currently own an Old Country Pecos smoker. I'm looking for an offset smoker. I've got a large green egg, but I'm not happy with the smoke profile. I want clean smoke, not the smoldering smoke I'm getting from my green egg. My first inclination is to get a custom built patio smoker. I tend to like well built things that last. But, The wait times are long and I do more smoking in the winter. So, I'd get the new smoker just in time for hot Georgia summers. I've got some Academy gift cards piled up and wouldn't have much out of pocket expense for an Old Country Pecos. So, I'm curious for those of you who own that model, how is it holding up for you? I'm leaning towards getting one, hope it holds up for 3-4 years and revisit a custom smoker at my leisure some point into that time period when a wait time isn't a big deal.

I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking about this for 2 years. What I would REALLY like is a Lone Star Grillz horizontal offset (best value for the build quality I've seen), but it would take 6 months and by the time I got done customizing would be 8x's as much as the Pecos. I'm thinking about just getting the Pecos and using it for a few years to see if I can get the bug out of my system.

My thinking if I get it and use it for a year and then decide I want the LSG, the Pecos would still sell for something on CL for a couple hundred and that 200 buck loss would have been well spend in use and verifying this is the direction I wanted to go in. Then again, if I never use it and the things rusts to death, spending 400 makes a lot more sense than spending 4000 to find that out. I can't see that being a problem though.

There is also the Brazos. At 999, it's definitely a better grill than the Pecos. I bet it would last forever...I'm just not sure that Pecos/brazos size is the one I want to have forever.

I have never owned one but have checked them out in person and they are made out of thicker steal than the Brinkmann and OKJ and they should last a long time .

4-5 years Easy if you take reasonable care of it......8-10 years if you take Good care of it.

I had a buddy kill one in 2 1/2 years but he would smoke with it and other times put charcoal in cook chamber (straight on metal -no grate) and grill with it. Never emptied the ash until next cook, left it out in his backyard in weather (full of ash), never oiled it, never repainted or did any touch up painting.

Thanks for the input guys. I plan to keep it covered and oiled so I reckon it'll meet my objectives. I've done plenty of research on the model. I guess I just wanted that last bit of reassurance that I wasn't throwing money down a hole.

Thanks for the input guys. I plan to keep it covered and oiled so I reckon it'll meet my objectives. I've done plenty of research on the model. I guess I just wanted that last bit of reassurance that I wasn't throwing money down a hole.

The firebox will rust regardless. After a few months - 6 months or so - sand it down, use a rust/metal treatment (outside only) - repaint. Then oil outside as it cools ( let it get down to warm first) after a cook (like a cast iron skillet) -or just do repaints occasionally. I will oil the inside of firebox every 3-4-5 cooks - it'll burn off but slows rust some between cooks. I'll oil inside cook chamber and grates every 1-2-3 cooks -whenever it's looking Dry. I just use spray oil. And clean ash out after a cook or next day.

I have had one for a little over a year and use it at least twice a weak. It's under a covered porch and still looks pretty much new.

I like mine, not a whole lot of usable space though... 1 brisket and a pork shoulder or 3 racks of ribs at most... it is well built and should last manyl years.

This is mine at 4 years old...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1482032023784.jpg
    FB_IMG_1482032023784.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 222
Ok Joe Longhorn is about the same size and I borrowed one when visiting friends in Oklahoma and did 2 14/15 lb Briskets and 2 Racks of Ribs and a pan of beans (beans already taken off in this pic)

On my Buddy's Pecos -that he killed- I did 2 Briskets and 2 Butts and 8-10 Ears of corn several times......

Back