Looking for a Honey glazed brisket recipe

wmrrock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a Honey glazed brisket recipe. I was thinking about coating the brisket with honey then using a simple brown sugar, salt & pepper, sweet paprika rub then basting it with honey every few hours during the smoke. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think you might have killed Bludawg! :shock:

By all means cook what you like, but you will find that most of the Brethren veer away from sweet stuff when it comes to Brisket. As far as coating it with Honey and then basting it with Honey throughout the cook I wouldn't recommend that. Thats going to be a lot of sugar buildup and you could end up with a black and bitter brisket. The flavor of the honey most likely won't survive the long cook time and smoke exposure. If you really want to glaze it I would only do it about 30 minutes before the end of the cook.

That being said.......its hard to beat a brisket with just salt and pepper :p

Sweet brisket? Might want to try Rachel Ray's or Guy Fieri's website. :twitch:

Usually do the Salt & Pepper but this is a special occasion - Its for dinner just before Rosh Hashanah and usually the brisket is cooked in the oven with something sweet like cranberries. I am taking a different approach with the smoker so I figured honey glazed. Thanks for the suggestion Q-Dat - will glaze about 30 minutes before.

Snobs!

I happen to really like corned beef done with a smoky sweet glaze. I prefer to do a standard cook on any meat, then add the glaze late in the cook. Of course, you could add some powdered honey to the rub, but, you almost certainly are going to have too dark of a bark.

I would use a rub along the lines of this.

3 parts kosher salt
1 part medium-fine grind white pepper
1 part chili powder
1/4 part Turbinado sugar

then I would use a glaze of:

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup pale ale

Just glaze that over the meat. An alternate would be to use Coca-cola or root beer, use 1 cup instead of the apple juice and pale ale.

You may want to make a glaze with turbinado sugar as it will not burn like other sugars ...use it as you would brown sugar ... Just a thought...oops looks like landarc beet me to it with the same thoughts !! On that note I concur !!!

This is a most wonderful marinade/injection for brisket, and after the marinating/injecting is done, the remainder is reduced to a sauce which can be used as a glaze at the end of the cook. Courtesy of Redhot.

The marinade...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1721520&postcount=42

And the cook...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1724751&postcount=62

The original this evolved from actually came from a brisket recipe for the oven we cut out of the local grocery flyer for a brisket sale - it was originally credited to a Texan, if I remember correctly...:becky:

Substituting honey for some of the brown sugar might actually be good.:idea:

Looking for suggestions for a Honey glazed brisket recipe. I was thinking about coating the brisket with honey then using a simple brown sugar, salt & pepper, sweet paprika rub then basting it with honey every few hours during the smoke. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just to clear things up - this a once a year meal for the Jewish High Holidays. The traditional "Jewish brisket" is usually cooked in the oven almost pot roast style with carrots, onions and even cranberries. I am trying to do things a little different for this year since the jewish Holiday are so early. Rather than the "traditional" I am going for smoked and sweet. I was even thinking about using the traditional method but putting it in the smoker instead of the oven. I will post pictures when done.

Just to clear things up - this a once a year meal for the Jewish High Holidays. The traditional "Jewish brisket" is usually cooked in the oven almost pot roast style with carrots, onions and even cranberries. I am trying to do things a little different for this year since the jewish Holiday are so early. Rather than the "traditional" I am going for smoked and sweet. I was even thinking about using the traditional method but putting it in the smoker instead of the oven. I will post pictures when done.

Ok I get where you're going with it now. Have you considered using cane syrup instead of honey? It has a rich earthy flavor that may compliment beef better than honey. I have lightly brushed beef ribs with it to finish and that tastes pretty good.

Back