Leftover guidance needed

TXMasterbuilt

Reaction score
I've been tossing an idea around in my head. Thinking about smoking a full packer brisket. When it is ready to come off I always wrap it in a towel (already wrapped in butcher paper) and letting it rest in an ice chest. While it is resting, I would finish smoking some Italian sausage and chicken lollipops for supper that night. Then slicing the brisket and separating it into three (or four) batches (flat and point in each bag) to freeze for future dinners.

My question is, knowing that reheating meat in the oven can dry it out, what is the best way to keep the brisket moist? Obviously lots of BBQ sauce would work, but prefer a better method.

Hope that "hypothetical" situation isn't a clear as mud.

The best method I've found is that I vacuum seal the different portions and fridge or freeze. Then put it in a pot of simmering water until warm. The meat stays super moist and is almost as good as when it was fresh

I've been tossing an idea around in my head. Thinking about smoking a full packer brisket. When it is ready to come off I always wrap it in a towel (already wrapped in butcher paper) and letting it rest in an ice chest. While it is resting, I would finish smoking some Italian sausage and chicken lollipops for supper that night. Then slicing the brisket and separating it into three (or four) batches (flat and point in each bag) to freeze for future dinners.

My question is, knowing that reheating meat in the oven can dry it out, what is the best way to keep the brisket moist? Obviously lots of BBQ sauce would work, but prefer a better method.

Hope that "hypothetical" situation isn't a clear as mud.

After defrosting left over brisket, I cut my slices, put them in a baking pan on a little raised cooling rack. I then pour in a just a little bit of apple juice, just enough to make some steam. (The cooling rack keeps the slices out of the apple juice)

I then cover the pan with foil and heat it up in the oven. I find it adds moisture back to the meat.

Vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water or sous vide.

FYU, the cooler is for holding, not for resting. The rest is done at room temp on a countertop. If you take a brisket direct form smoker and put it a cooler it's going to continue cooking. You need to stop the cooking and let it rest first. That's done on a countertop. The cooler is for if its done resting at noon and you dont plan to be eating till 5.

Last edited:
If I intend to consume the leftovers within a month I just put them in freezer zip locks (not sliced, just cut in one chunk). I always save the juice from the wrap (apple mostly with what comes off the brisket) and add a little to each baggie. After thawing slice and return to ziplock with the juice. Unzip the baggie a little to let out steam and micro the sucker. Comes out just fine.

BfBRyFZ.jpg

I also use vacuum bags and roaster with water, these are bags of pulled pork which I will pull and freeze. With brisket I separate the flat and point, and might cut the flat in half but I don't like slicing until just before serving.

Popular reheating liquids for brisket, which you can put into the bags are:

BBQ sauce + cooking juice
Beef broth + BBQ sauce
BBQ sauce + water
Coca-Cola + cooking juice
Coca-Cola
BBQ sauce + beer
BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + some cooking juice to taste
Beef broth + Au Jus mix
Beef broth + red wine

Back