Looking for more smoke flavor from my stick burner

Mcc1972

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I try and run a clean hot fire. Sometimes it’s so clean that you can’t see any smoke coming out of the stack. Just radiant heat. Is the answer really to “dirty” up the fire a little bit?

What kind of wood do you typically run with? Maybe try mixing in some mesquite or hickory for a more pronounced flavor

I know what you mean. I've learned to try to run a tad cooler (250ish). That seems to give the right amount of clean smoke. If I run 300+, then it very clean exhaust. Just a thought.

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing when I first switched to a stick burner from a wsm. I was worried my wood was too dry. I thought my food wasn't smoky enough after watching the fire for hours and breathing smoke. Taking a shower after the meat comes off before you eat helps re set your palate. Also try your food leftover the next day, sometimes the leftovers taste smokier.

Clear smoke still has flavor. Try different wood, not necessarily green. Oak can often be weak, hickory is my local favorite. Further south people use a lot of pecan which is a relative of hickory. In the SW you might mix some mesquite in with oak. It depends on what you can get locally.

I read somewhere that a flame consumes the smoke. Not sure what was meant by that. I guess I need to practice keeping my temps around 250

clean fire is always better IMHO. I also agree that after running the rig all day you are numb to the smell and flavor of smoke and I've heard several people say the same thing. if it's not that I would mix in some different hard woods. Not sure what you are burning but hickory and oak are good hardwoods that have nice flavor but not too strong providing you have a clean fire.

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing when I first switched to a stick burner from a wsm. I was worried my wood was too dry. I thought my food wasn't smoky enough after watching the fire for hours and breathing smoke. Taking a shower after the meat comes off before you eat helps re set your palate. Also try your food leftover the next day, sometimes the leftovers taste smokier.

That next day thing — more smoke flavor— is such a strange phenomenon isn't it? I notice this all the time.

On the offset clean smoke quandary:

If the smoke is too clean on the offset, I usually add a little more wood and cut the air back a tad. The fire is still hot enough to avoid dirty creosote smoke, but cool enough to avoid burning off the good stuff we're looking for in smoke flavor.

Of course this is a matter of personal preference, but a clean burning fire with only heat exiting the stack is my ideal scenario. I like to think of food that comes off my stick burner as "cooked with a wood burning fire" not "smoked". If I burp up smoke later in the day, the meat was oversmoked for my liking. I also find that having my face in and out of the firebox and cook chamber for 8...10...12 hours really mutes my taste buds and by then I usually dont even want to eat whatever it is I spent all that time cooking. That reason, among othera, is why I often cook in advance now. As others mentioned, a shower can help. I mainly use oak and hickory, with an occasional stick of cherry for color. Im honestly not sure I can tell the difference in food I cooked with only oak and food only with hickory, but perhaps if I did a side by side. Could be that I just dont have complex enough taste buds. I just know that food cooked on a clean burning wood fire tastes best to me.

If you have mastered fire tending such that you maintain temps during a long cook with a clean fire you are doing something VERY WELL. Many folks would like to be in your shoes.

My $0.02: avoid adding green wood or choking the fire. Since you are in Keller you should be able to find live oak and pecan easily. This blend always works for me and produces rich but not acrid smoke flavor.

Good luck, please post an update when you find what works for you.

I'd use a stronger wood like hickory and try to lower your cook temp.

Keep the meat wet by basting or spraying with water or whatever liquid you may prefer. The moisture on the meat attracts and holds smoke. Dry meat not so much.

Back