MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #16
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Call Assassin Monday and ask them if they have a cure.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it’s a problem during a cook I’d just lay a piece of angle iron cut to fit loosely across the hinges. I’ve had an SOB since the late 80’s Mine doesn’t leak smoke

Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
nathan1
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : nathan1

I spoke to Jeff@Assassin this morning and he acknowledged that rain can get in via the hinge. He suggested that I cover it or drill drain holes at the bottom. Drain holes won't be ideal for me since this will cause it to drain with the remanence of grease. I'm going to attempt to find a flexible high temp tape and see if I can just get the hinges covered up. I will report back any success.
nathan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #19
nathan1
Got Wood.

Some additional notes for current/future Assassin owners....
The Assassin manual states to keep the pressure off the seals when not in use for a long time (weeks). I spoke to Jeff about how this is done....once it is cool simply pull the lower shelf out just a bit so the door sits on the shelf rather than the seal. He said if you use your cooker weekly, you don't really need to do this.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
nathan1
Got Wood.

I placed 324A foil tape on to seal the hinges. I put put it on while closed with the leading edge meeting the top leading edge of the hinge and then pressing down on both sides of the hinge to get it to stick. The hinge operates and the foil forms its own "pocket" which you can see in the pictures. It now passes the hose test at the hinges but still leaks beneath the back of the hinge where it is welded, because the weld doesn't go all the way across the grill. I am either going to use JB Weld high temp to fill those small gaps or food grade RTV450. Pitching the angle a bit more back might help with this as well.

I'm not sure how long the tape will last. If folks are interested, I will report back as it degrades.

More pictures...

Last edited by nathan1; 07-09-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #21
nathan1
Got Wood.

Enough mechanical talk...Some food...
"Vortex like" wings, since I don't know how to use my Vortex on this beast.

I kept the pan in the draft area just below the chimney. They crisped up great and fast.

Another awesome thing about the Assassin is that the pinwheel vent is gigantic, you can actually look in it and see the bottom side of your steak develop char. Watch out for pops.

More reverse ribeye/vortex pictures...

Old 07-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #22
nathan1
Got Wood.

Reheating brisket/ribs and cooking a peach galette:

Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
nathan1
Got Wood.

I did a stick burning session last night with the grill reaching over 600F+. The lid of the pit easily reaches 450F+ above the fire, much hotter than the 324A tape is rated for (350F). That being said, when it got hot, it softened a bit and made the hinge easily flex. I checked it this morning and the tape seems fine. For covering the backside of the hinge that isn't welded, I placed another layer of 324A to overlap with the original one and the welded area. A hose test worked well with minimal water entry.

I am going to run this application of tape until it fails. Assuming it simply fails because of heat, I will try switching to high temperature flue tape or 3M 433 (600F). It may fail due to outdoor exposure first, who knows.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

It didn’t take you long to really take advantage of all the cooking zones with this setup. Nice job.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #25
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Congratulations...
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #26
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cooker

Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #27
nathan1
Got Wood.

8lb bone in butt for 14ish hours. Started with the water pan but water boils off really quickly (<4h) (big spike). Refilled it twice overnight, gave up in the morning and switched to the VPan with fire bricks covering a bit more of the vents. I need to figure out if I can do a maze with my smaller front pans. In general, it held well for around 4h but I want to do an end to end with VPan/fire bricks.

More pictures....

Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #28
nathan1
Got Wood.

Reporting back on the 324A foil tape....No issues, I have done tons of low temp/high temp cooks and it works very well. There have been quite a few heavy downpours and the cooker stays 99% dry, no accumulation but a few drops make it in via surface tension around some corners. I'd recommend this to any Assassin owners that don't have covered grills and want to avoid the rain.