Should I Buy Another Craigslist Smoker? Good One Open Range

I will help you. Go by the Good One, and I will help clear a spot by taking that crappy old Lang off of your hands. That sounds like a win-win...right? :heh:

Clearly summer vacation has eroded your mind. Thankfully school will start in a few weeks and you can get back to work where you are safe..

:crazy:

I like my good one

I mainly use it for smoking and reverse searing, don't use it much as a regular grill, although you can grill in the firebox, but I think Weber is better

The smoke chamber has 2 shelves, but lower shelve is cooler, so you will need to rotate, but i don't think it's much of an issue.

Surface rust is pretty common with them, mine is always covered when not in use and has few spots, but not a big deal

I like my good one

I mainly use it for smoking and reverse searing, don't use it much as a regular grill, although you can grill in the firebox, but I think Weber is better

The smoke chamber has 2 shelves, but lower shelve is cooler, so you will need to rotate, but i don't think it's much of an issue.

Surface rust is pretty common with them, mine is always covered when not in use and has few spots, but not a big deal

Same here with the surface rust.

Also I find the cleaning out ash pan a pain in the butt since mine has the charcoal grate attached - it’s easy enough to remove from the firebox but dumping the charcoal is messy.

If it helps I bought one in better shape than that for $200. $400 seems a bit high for that one. Most folks wouldn't recognize it as s smoker.

If you have to ask the answer is yes What did your wife say :biggrin1:

The wife came with me to look at it...she was also concerned about the water in the ashpan, but she didn't say no.

When she asked where i would put it, told her I would get rid of the gasser....she says, but what if you want to do a quick cook? She's always thinking!

Mikahil set the bar pretty low. No way he takes $200 if its listed for $350.

I basically have to say...I know you probably will be insulted, but if you can't sell it and just want it gone I will give you $200.

$350 is not a bad price and I would probably buy it for that. You usually don't find the OR for $200 or even $350.

I enjoy my OR and like others have said, they hold rock steady temps and are very easy to dial in. If you do Facebook, there is a good group on it for the Good One smokers.

Do you know how old that one is? Mine is a third generation made in 2014 and is the latest version of that smoker. I think the third gen first came out in late 2013. You can take care of the rust. I've had to touch mine up and I keep it covered under a carport that has sides.

Let us know if you get it.

Thanks Monte -

Im not sure which version...but...drop in drip pan, no bucket or spout, and pull out ashpan from the side. 3 slots in the damper arm position.

Therefore...I believe its the 2nd version....??

Buy it. On a lazy hazy day with smoke hugging the ground....

StlSportster, can you reverse the position of the firebox and the cook chamber? (What it essentially does is flip the lid) I think that was one of the features of the third generation.

Thanks Monte -

Im not sure which version...but...drop in drip pan, no bucket or spout, and pull out ashpan from the side. 3 slots in the damper arm position.

Therefore...I believe its the 2nd version....??

I believe you are right about it being a 2nd generation.

Not a bad price. I had mine up for sale for quite a while, and was only able to get $500. Mine also had the front stainless shelf, a cover, and was in a lot better shape.

I’d try $300.

I don’t know if others have had similar experiences, but I ultimately sold mine because it wouldn’t cook big pieces of meat evenly. For example, turkey. I had to take the top grate out of the smoke chamber just to get the lid to close. No big deal, right? Well, the bottom of the bird was damn close to the fire and therefore the underside of the bird cooked nice and fast while the breasts were only at 145 degrees. Screwed up my entire cook.

The exact same thing happened with pork butts.

I appreciate your itch because I always have it myself, but this is an itch I wouldn’t scratch again.

Back