Canopy for my Shirley Patio

cspence

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Been picking away at this project for the past month or so...planning, gathering parts, and building. It all started with a few left over galvanized panels I had from my wood shed project and the thought of keeping my cooker out of the weather (yeah, I have to store outside, but was covering with a golf cart cover)

I was trying so hard to not have to modify my cooker at all, but I did end up having to drill (2) 3/8" holes in the handle as an attachment point, oh well lol. I'm happy with how it came out, hoping it holds up, particularly in high wind conditions or heavy snow...but I have a few ideas for the latter.

All in all, should make cooking in rain much easier and enjoyable...just need an umbrella to get to and from the house.

Just wanted to share, hope this gives someone else an idea to do something similar.

Attachments

• Shirley Canopy 01.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 01.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 625
  • Shirley Canopy 10.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 10.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 619
  • Shirley Canopy 09.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 09.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 616
  • Shirley Canopy 08.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 08.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 616
  • Shirley Canopy 07.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 07.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 624
  • Shirley Canopy 06.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 06.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 620
  • Shirley Canopy 05.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 05.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 620
  • Shirley Canopy 04.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 04.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 625
  • Shirley Canopy 03.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 03.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 620
  • Shirley Canopy 02.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 02.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 620
  • Shirley Canopy 11.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 11.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 623
Very well executed! I like the u-bolt to the exhaust stack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice! That'll be a big help to keep the rain and sun off great job.

You guys that can do stuff like that make me sick! Tell me ... which one is the Philips head screwdriver..... :-D

Great job!

Very nice. I’m trying to see how I can add a roof to my cooker as well. So the whole thing just sits on the warmer and attaches at the handle?

Nice. I like that it looks like you can adjust the angle of the roof.

Farkin’ Awesome!

Can you build one for me, pretty please? :wink:

I like that A LOT!!! I have been thinking of something similar for mine.

Farkin’ Awesome!

Can you build one for me, pretty please? :wink:
Hey! I responded first to this thread. If he's building another one it's mine. :boxing:

Very nice! I was also looking into doing something out of canvas using the existing umbrella holders on the back of my rig.....I may rethink this.

Thanks for the love guys! Got it up just in time, lots of thunderstorms here this evening, probably got about 2" of rain, working like a charm!

Very well executed! I like the u-bolt to the exhaust stack.

Thanks! Yeah, super secure and no modification necessary!

Very nice. I’m trying to see how I can add a roof to my cooker as well. So the whole thing just sits on the warmer and attaches at the handle?
Correct, I made up a piece of SS angle iron to act like an adapter, secured to the exhaust stack with a 6" ID U bolt and then the 8020 aluminum bracket attached to the SS angle iron. On the opposite side I just have it attached with (2) 5/16-18 SS bolts through the sides of the handle.

Nice. I like that it looks like you can adjust the angle of the roof.
Yup, used some 40-4317 (8020.net, https://8020.net/40-4317.html) 90 degree pivot brackets. I can just about have the entire roof vertical...almost (not that there is a need for that extreme). It bottoms out just before on the warmer, hence you can catch a glimpse of a rubber bump stop I added.

Very nice! I was also looking into doing something out of canvas using the existing umbrella holders on the back of my rig.....I may rethink this.
I was so mad that I didn't get umbrella holders at first, would have made rigging something up a bit easier.

Looks sweet did you put a 90degree fitting on grease drain?

Yeah, I did...just to keep it from dripping on the shelf and to make it easier to hang a bucket...

Rain subsided so I snagged a couple more photos for folks interested...

Attachments

• Shirley Canopy 15.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 15.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Shirley Canopy 14.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 14.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Shirley Canopy 13.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 13.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Shirley Canopy 12.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 12.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Shirley Canopy 16.JPG
    Shirley Canopy 16.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 127
Looks great and seems to function well... it's also a gonna be a fine sail. :shock:
Good luck with it!

Back