crawfish boil? Experts opinion.

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Asking for my son.
How many live crawfish will he need for three or four people?

He thinks it won't take much. I think he's wrong...

Thanks in advance :thumb:

People who aren’t use to eating crawfish I’d say about 2-3 lbs per person . People who like crawfish but don’t eat it often, figure 5-7 lbs per person. If you got folks from Louisiana eating figure 10-15 lbs per person.

Honestly a small crowd like you’re talking about I’d get about 10-15 lbs. If you got left overs you can always make gumbo or etouffee with the leftovers.

Depends on “the fixins”. If there’s corn, potatoes, sausage, etc. about 3 lbs per person is a good planning factor. If not, or if people don’t eat the fixins, 5 lbs per person is our planning factor. Leftovers is always good. Just made a crawfish pizza with leftovers from our boil on Thursday evening.

I worked for a catering company in college. I cooked for small and large events. My largest was Exxon's company picnic. Our standard was 3 1/2 lbs/person for men, women, and children. We calculated 5 lbs/person for all men.

People who aren’t use to eating crawfish I’d say about 2-3 lbs per person . People who like crawfish but don’t eat it often, figure 5-7 lbs per person. If you got folks from Louisiana eating figure 10-15 lbs per person.

Honestly a small crowd like you’re talking about I’d get about 10-15 lbs. If you got left overs you can always make gumbo or etouffee with the leftovers.

Think you have hit it Andrew. :thumb:

My neighbor did a boil yesterday with 25 lbs of mudbugs with corn, potatoes, mushrooms and shrimp added. With 10-12 people had plenty left over.

I just thought of something that could help you or anyone else wondering about how much crawfish they need to feed a certain amount of people. You figure about 15-18% of the total weight of the crawfish is the tail meat that you actually eat. Based on that it takes 6-7 lbs of live crawfish to equal 1 lb of tail meat. So now that you know that, it’s a little easier to determine how much you need per person. As Cowgirl mentioned you can put other stuff in the boil (corn, potatoes, mushrooms, sausage, etc) which could affect the amount of crawfish people will eat. If you have any other food consider that as well.

Just remember if you invite someone like me to the boil, I’m gonna tear up the crawfish and anything you put in the boil and probably won’t touch any other sides or items you cook. 😁

Back