What Should The June Special Throwdown Category Be?

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I decided to devote a stand alone thread to this topic moving FW so it stands out a bit more.

Last month, the following categories lost out to All Month Cinco de Mayo:

1. On a Budget ($15 or less total for entire entry)
2. 4 Ingredient Challenge (Details TBD)
3. Noob Showcase (Limited only to those who have only entered 5 Throwdowns or less)

I think these are viable choices, so I'm leaving them on the table for now. What others would you like throw in the mix?

Here's the basic criteria we use to select the Monthly Throwdowns:

• Because the SPECIAL Throwdowns lasts an entire month, the category should be fairly broad, and repeatable since we allow multiple entries on these.
  • Don't repeat a category we've already done in the last 12 months.
  • Look to past monthly special Throwdowns for ideas or variations on popular favorites. Also, certain foods have an entire month devoted to them, i.e., National Garlic Month, for example.
  • Come up with something completely different!

Maybe Burgers and/or Dogs would get a few more entries?

Your suggestion is a good example of how we typically evaluate the viability of the monthly Throwdown categories:

Historically speaking, burgers alone have been one of the top categories in terms of quantity of entries, but in the end, both burgers and dogs are different enough to warrant separate categories.

Is this a broad enough subject:
"Show your favorite summertime cookout for friends and family". Full spread, sides encouraged.

I like this idea summer time cookouts is what is all about for Foodies like us on this board.

Great events with family and friends pretty much always revolve around a great meal. And our member's that food usually come off of a grill or smoker.

Summer time meal is a great suggestion

How about "surf and turf"? Any dish that has both seafood and a land animal.

Rick, we've done a number of surf and turf Throwdowns over the years - it's a great semi-specialized category for a bi-weekly Throwdown! For the monthly Throwdowns, we're looking for broad categories that can pull multiple entries:

Because the SPECIAL Throwdowns lasts an entire month, the category should be fairly broad, and repeatable since we allow multiple entries on these.

Its been a long time since I've seen a scrap iron cooking category.

I also agree we need a noob cook at some point.

Being a n00b myself, I support the idea of a n00b cook off :) (i think I've only done one or two throw downs?)

Back