MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #76
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
My one quibble so far would be that I wish there was about 1/4" or 1/2" larger gap between the shelf levels so that I could easily slide half/full pans in and out - they tend to catch on the bottom of the grill surface above. Might not be an issue with solid ones, but the disposable aluminum ones that I use deform just enough to get hung up.

If I cooked for a larger crowd, I could see the desire for another 6-10" of width as well. But 90% of the time, it's either for just my Wife and I or 2-6 Guests. A couple of times a year we have a Community/Neighborhood Pot Luck that demands the extra real estate. I can manage that with the 2* and my other BBQ's.

You can order medium height aluminum pans. Work great if you need them to fit between the grates when using multiple grates.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...612FS7800.html
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #77
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Yep. I get it. That's why I was (tying at least) to be careful with my phrasing on that one. If we do meals with her family (that I often cook for) it starts at 25 people. If it's something with guests, we are easily close to 50. I usually bring a protein and a side or two. A family dinner is essentially a small catering gig. The size was clearly stated everywhere, so I should have mocked it up with cardboard or something to know what I was getting into. I'll own that mistake.

Realizing an actual unicorn smoker would probably cost much more, the majority of the point I was trying to make-is that I don't personally agree with all of the normal hype points that are listed as 'reason to go MAK'

Fair enough... total respect buddy :)

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #78
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
Please understand, I am not directing blame at anyone. I bought it, nobody forced me to or tried to influence me. When I refer to all the hype, I mean from a bunch of different sources. rwalters, you are always nice to everyone, always willing to help out. I think it is great to see the enthusiasm you have for your Mak and also the enjoyment that you get out of it. I also don't agree with some of the hype points listed as reasons to go Mak because in my opinion, they are not accurate.

Totally get it and fully respect your thoughts and opinions :)

Old 05-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #79
Bob C Cue

Hey Robb, I just want to let you know that if a class action lawsuit is filed against you I will not be participating!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #80
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Hey Robb, I just want to let you know that if a class action lawsuit is filed against you I will not be participating!
Pffffttt...

I’M IN!!!!

(Daddy needs a new Newell!!!)

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #81
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post

I will join it by gum. I want my $.18 that everyone will get while the law firm gets millions. J/K
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #82
rwalters

All y’all can sue me all you want... I am married with 9 children... bwhahahaha. Good luck with that one :-)~

Old 05-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #83
4ever3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
All y’all can sue me all you want... I am married with 9 children... bwhahahaha. Good luck with that one :-)~
Well shoot!

There go all our hopes and dreams y’all...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #84
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchy View Post
I’ll throw this out there more generally too. Some of it is stating the obvious. All cooking is the cook and techniques first, cooker second. If you’ve had a Traeger or similar that is 5-10 years old the MAK is awesome in comparison. If you’ve had a newer pellet grill, you’ll likely still think it’s a lot better, but more for construction than performance most likely as the sub $1000 pellet grill controllers have gotten a lot better in last five years.

I’ve only had my MAK 2-3 months. I’ve done a lot of cooks on it already and am very happy. Has it cooked food above and beyond anything else, no. It just works far more efficient and reliably. What really stands out to me with the MAK is mid-high temp cooking. Outside of the unreliable SmokeFire, the MAK is the next best pellet ‘grill’ I’ve had for quick things like burgers, chicken, chops, etc. It gets to 400-450 easy and recovers quickly after opening to flip and rearrange food. Not that it’s not an outstanding smoker too, it’s just that almost all pellet smokers do this part well. I also, know it’s going to last a long time too and is worthy of upgrades if or when MAK makes them.

I do agree on the cleaning part though. It’s not hard to clean, just not as easy as many other pellet grills. However, it’s easier than the Memphis to clean. You had to keep the Memphis spotless inside to avoid grease fires.

How long does it take for your Mak to hit 425° or so? My Blaz’n was super quick. My pitts and spitts takes an hour. Even if it’s 100° out.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #85
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
How long does it take for your Mak to hit 425° or so? My Blaz’n was super quick. My pitts and spitts takes an hour. Even if it’s 100° out.

Depending on ambient temp, I am typically at 425° in about 15-17 mins on my 2 Star. Curious to see what Glitchy is seeing.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #86
tom b

^^^^ plus 30min. for me

Old 05-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #87
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
^^^^ plus 30min. for me

Do you have the latest firmware version, Tom?

Old 05-16-2021, 08:56 PM   #88
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
Funny, I never timed it, so had to scan Fireboard sessions. I’m seeing 3-4 sessions of 0-400 in 15-20 mins and one time I got there in 11 minutes. I would have guessed 15-20 without looking as I usually start the grill and prep food and haven’t had to wait long to put it on the grill.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:11 PM   #89
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Do you have the latest firmware version, Tom?
Not sure, I don't even remember if I ever dialed in wifi

Old 05-16-2021, 11:51 PM   #90
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Not sure, I don't even remember if I ever dialed in wifi
I haven’t had mine long enough to deal with an upgrade yet, but I don’t believe MAKs upgrade over WiFi. I think you have to ‘borrow’ an upgrade module from MAK or send your controller in. There is a menu option to see what version you have though. Seems like pressing up or holding it for a few seconds.

Thanks from:--->