New MAK Owners Post Your First Cooks Here!

I know I posted this in the weekend thread, but I’m really happy how this came out. Pork butt, no wrap, cooked through the stall on the 2 Star.

resize hd image

I have never cooked a butt start to finish without loosely tenting it at a minimum, at the stall. Have always been concerned I’d ruin it. Seems I am wrong! Nicely done :)

I have never cooked a butt start to finish without loosely tenting it at a minimum, at the stall. Have always been concerned I’d ruin it. Seems I am wrong! Nicely done :)

Thank you!

Think I’m gonna try wrapping and spraying the next time, see if there are any big differences. My wife said it was the best thing I’ve ever cooked, all I had to do was press the power and put the meat on. Not sure if that was a compliment or a knock to all my other cooking lol.

Sorry, late on this thread, you asked about the grill grates, I got the 1/4 grill grate and use it a lot, does a nice job searing steaks, chops and burgers. Strongly recommend. While the smoking is great, I find the big advantage of the MAK is the higher temps you can reach for grilling. I guess I'm getting lazy because it definitely easier and quicker to start the MAK instead of firing up the Egg. I got my MAK 2 Star on sale before Christmas and was able to sell my Timberline. Definitely an upgrade all around. Just need to fix my profile.

Thanks, when you say 1/4 GrillGrate what are the actual dimensions when I’m looking for it on the GrillGrates site? Does this 1/4 basically fit where one of the half MAK grates would go above one of the flamezones?

Yet another experiment. This one was VERY successful! Didn't take any other pictures.
2d79ab13832c9630913dd971295a2fb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll try to add more info later. Gotta run.

Last edited:
Yet another experiment. This one was VERY successful! Didn't take any other pictures.
2d79ab13832c9630913dd971295a2fb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll try to add more info later. Gotta run.

Ummmmmm I don’t need more pictures !

I just need you to call me when it’s ready!

Anyone who has WiFi know why I can’t get the web control screen to show up on the pellet boss controller? I’ve got the WiFi module plugged in the back, lights are flashing, but nothing to turn web control on the grill.

A little late on this. This is my fourth cook. Pork butt smoked overnight, no wrap--about 15 hours total. This is only my second pork butt overall, but it was my best.

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_101851.jpg
    IMG_20210515_101851.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20210515_101857.jpg
    IMG_20210515_101857.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20210515_154021_01.jpg
    IMG_20210515_154021_01.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20210515_170141.jpg
    IMG_20210515_170141.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
This thread is a great idea! I'm enjoying watching it unfold...

Just wanted to let any MAK owners know that the Memorial Day sale is live. They are offering 15% off on all accessories. The code is: memorialday

I didn’t have to put it in as it applied automatically. I combined this coupon with the $100 group buy incentive which gave me a pretty nice discount. I got the front shelf, bottom shelf and a hook so I can hang the power cord when not in use. The accessories are pricey so I wanted to take advantage of this sale to stack with the incentive. I feel this will make my MAK look and feel more “complete”. Only other thing I was looking at was the grill grate, but I passed. My Weber with GrillGrates will do the hot and fast.

If anyone goes in, please share. Always fun to see what others are doing.

Just wanted to let any MAK owners know that the Memorial Day sale is live. They are offering 15% off on all accessories. The code is: memorialday

I didn’t have to put it in as it applied automatically. I combined this coupon with the $100 group buy incentive which gave me a pretty nice discount. I got the front shelf, bottom shelf and a hook so I can hang the power cord when not in use. The accessories are pricey so I wanted to take advantage of this sale to stack with the incentive. I feel this will make my MAK look and feel more “complete”. Only other thing I was looking at was the grill grate, but I passed. My Weber with GrillGrates will do the hot and fast.

If anyone goes in, please share. Always fun to see what others are doing.

What’s the group buy incentive? I’m looking at snatching the WiFi and a few things

OK. Preparing for my first “Big Cook” on the MAK tomorrow.

Bronto Beef Ribs. BB Pork Ribs. Beans (probably close to Keri’s Hog Apple Beans). This is why I bought this with the SS Box. Move everything over when they are practically done and let the Beef & Pork Ribs gather in more goodness while the Beans patiently wait for any offerings from above.

A bit nervous/wary, but think I have it all planned out.

Can’t wait.

The group buy is done... BUT MAK has all accessories on sale this weekend at 15% off (ends today) :)

That's weird. I looked several times this weekend, and never saw anything with the discount. I had waited to use the discount code for that very reason.

That's weird. I looked several times this weekend, and never saw anything with the discount. I had waited to use the discount code for that very reason.

Not certain, but it may have only been offered through Big Poppa Smokers. No harm in calling MAK and see if they’ll make an exception and extend the discount to you. No idea, but doesn’t hurt to try :)

I used it, the code was: memorialday. Once I added the items to the cart the discount showed up. Keep in mind this was only for accessories and the 15% off wasn’t reflected until you added the items to the cart and applied the code. I knew about it because MAKGrills.com sent an email and posted it on their social media. Big Poppa Smokers had the 1 Star and 2 Star on sale, not the accessories. I believe their sale is over as well.

Like Robb said, give MAK a call or email. Worst they can say is no or give you an idea of the next sale.

OK. Preparing for my first “Big Cook” on the MAK tomorrow.

Bronto Beef Ribs. BB Pork Ribs. Beans (probably close to Keri’s Hog Apple Beans). This is why I bought this with the SS Box. Move everything over when they are practically done and let the Beef & Pork Ribs gather in more goodness while the Beans patiently wait for any offerings from above.

A bit nervous/wary, but think I have it all planned out.

Can’t wait.

Best of luck. Looking forward to to your play by play and pics!

78dc1f42d1a1ed9fc8438d7e7aacd796.jpg

Early days. About 2.5 in @ 225. Supposed to be a late dinner, hoping everything is winding up a bit early, then moving over to the super smoker box til about time to serve.

How long can/should you keep ribs in there w/o causing problems? (Box is at about 130)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back