MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #16
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Don't worry. It will be November soon and the discussion around:

Judges coolers
Comment cards
Extra tenders

Will be starting up soon!

Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
travismagee
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
Forums like this ebb and flow. My lack of participation lately has been because newer members come in asking all the same questions as others in the past instead of actually using the search function. Always looking for the instant gratification of winning recipes instead of earning their stripes through trial and error like most of the experienced cooks have done. I have no problems sharing a few general tips, especially in Q-Talk, but I am generally tired of all the shortcuts members are asking for.

It's funny you mention this because this is true with our society in general. Technology has influenced us in a way where we all expect instant gratification. Now we have technology in bbq. Pellet smokers, digital devices to let us know when our meat is ready to pull off a smoker, etc... Throwing a stick of wood on a fire is too time consuming so people battle over pellet smokers vs stick burners. There needs to be a time when we disconnect from technology. I believe bbq is that time.

Last edited by travismagee; 09-17-2018 at 10:40 AM..
travismagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

It is funny what you can find with the search function. It is often overlooked.
Just for fun I searched a username. I fell down the rabbit hole into Wonderland. Now to decide red or blue pill. Never have seen the information before but I am going to try it out. I am certain alot of you won't know what the heck I am talking about. Try the red pill.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #19
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've read some judge bashing, cook bashing, teams at the top of comp bbq freely sharing info, and some new teams that would be fine with having others do everything but box their entry for them.

Nothing has changed over the years. We know more about judges 6 and 5 than we used to. We know about ET pork from Smithfield, and that some guy out west is unfairly tilting the playing field by hand picking teams to develop injections (I kid Sterling, I kid!!!!;).

It is what it is, and people continue to cook, judge, ask questions, and offer advice. There just seems to be more sleep involved, and less beer than there used to be. The amount of manufactured drama remains about the same.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #20
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I've read some judge bashing, cook bashing, teams at the top of comp bbq freely sharing info, and some new teams that would be fine with having others do everything but box their entry for them.

Nothing has changed over the years. We know more about judges 6 and 5 than we used to. We know about ET pork from Smithfield, and that some guy out west is unfairly tilting the playing field by hand picking teams to develop injections (I kid Sterling, I kid!!!!;).

It is what it is, and people continue to cook, judge, ask questions, and offer advice. There just seems to be more sleep involved, and less beer than there used to be. The amount of manufactured drama remains about the same.
Amen!

You know I cooked the AR Open after taking dang near a year off. Never bothered me to not be cooking, but those couple good luck shots I had Sunday morning tasted damn good. I might have to see if I can find another comp to do before the season is over and the winter late night typing starts.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #21
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
This kind of comment baffles me.......not just here, but anytime I see it posted on other sites. And I’m not trying to be a dick. But I’m big message board kind of guy on several sites and lots of people do exactly what you say they do. Many threads do wind up being repeats of previous threads. But that never bothers me. And it is certainly not something that would cause me not to participate on a message board. Just skip the thread if you feel it is a retread. That seems like a reasonable solution to me. In addition, most sites have ****ty search features and many times folks have better luck just asking a new question and hoping they find folks willing to answer. For me, I love talking about comps and it bothers me not to try to help folks just getting started or wanting to upgrade. Imagine how daunting it would be to type in “comp trailers” into the search engine. It would take you days to sift through all of the posts about that subject and having no idea whether your specific question has been asked or answered in that sea of info. So I understand why newer members start a new thread and ask about their specific need. When I see the thread I either click on it or not, depending on my interest. But either way I don’t let it bother me.

As for shortcuts, I think us comp cooks at times send mixed messages. Lots of folks don’t feel comfortable sharing “trade secrets” online. And I get that. When you have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars in comp classes then it’s easy to have red ass when thinking someone wants you to share what you have learned for free. Especially online. However, at contests I have seen tons of folks share everything they know after hanging out a bit and drinking a few beers. So I think it depends on the situation. It is human nature to protect sensitive info when you are using that info to compete against people. But once again I understand why folks ask, I just choose what I feel comfortable answering and I either do or I don’t. I don’t get offended by the question. I mean when you have links on here posting cooking methods or trimming methods of meat from some of the top teams in the nation, which is fantastic by the way, and things like that, then how are newer comp cooks supposed to know what is ok or not ok to ask more experienced cooks? When you consider the money and time it takes to be competitive then I understand why people want to shorten the learning curves. For me, asking others and trying to read online didn’t move my knowledge along fast enough. So I took the plunge to invest more and took a few classes. I make enough money to piss it away like that. Lol. But I understand there are many others who will seek the info for free for various reasons. I’m just very selective in what I share. But I will tell you this, I do share some/alot because of others had not been generous with me I wouldn’t be able to cook as well as I do now.....which is still not very good but better than what it would have been without the help.
You can ask me anything anytime
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #22
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
You can ask me anything anytime
Thanks Pappy! And I know that about you. In fact, a bit part of my original post about this was inspired by you.

Several years ago, you were one of the first people I become friends with on the comp trail. You were generous with your time and insight. Always willing to discuss things that helped me/us.

And that was before you actually did your FREE class a few years ago. Which was fantastic! The stuff we discussed about meat prep, rubs etc was incredible......but also, many other things we went over that day have been incorporated into my comp routine. Little things about organization, cleanup and things that maybe alot of people wouldn't even care about, was something I thought was super helpful.

And because of your generosity and helpfulness it's something I try to pay forward as well with anyone that also thinks I may know just enough to help them some.

and like I said, I dont just hand over my notebook from Myron Mixon's class to people out of respect for him trying to run a business etc. but outside of things like that, I do want to help as much as I can.

so bottom line for me, when folks ask questions on this forum it's either a question I feel comfortable trying to help with or not.....but I'm just glad there are people still interested enough in BBQ to get on here and ask. I love to discuss it.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #23
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Maybe out working second jobs so they can afford Wagyu briskets?

Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

No post in the comp forum will ever be better than this one IMO.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #25
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
No post in the comp forum will ever be better than this one IMO.
that's so good...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #26
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

I only lurk here now and stick to the qtalk forum after I tried to ask a question here and got accused of being a liar and a cheat. I was taught very quickly as a new cook this wasn’t the place to ask questions.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #27
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
I only lurk here now and stick to the qtalk forum after I tried to ask a question here and got accused of being a liar and a cheat. I was taught very quickly as a new cook this wasn’t the place to ask questions.
Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I’ll answer any question you have to the best of my ability
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #28
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
Wager, I'm sorry to here that. I don't know how long ago that was, but I have had the exact opposite response from the comp folks. I don't ask for secrets or anything like that. But, I have asked for advice several times and the response was great. As an fairly new competitor, I will ask questions all of the time. I understand there are cooks out there that do this for a living, so to speak, but for folks like me that compete 4-5 times a year this has been a great resource for me. If I lived somewhere that I could drive 3-4hrs in any direction to a comp I would definitely do more. I will continue to ask questions and I will continue to give advice in this forum. I was at a comp last month and there was a team next to us that were 1st timers and they asked us about how to do the garnish for the boxes. My wife went over to their trailer and showed them how to build one and said the rest are all yours. She made them run to the store and buy new/legal greens. She's a mean one. They ended up placing 12th over all. I was super happy for them. That is the kind of folks that I tend to run into at a comp, and that are the folks that tend to answer my questions on this forum.
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #29
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Wager, I'm sorry to here that. I don't know how long ago that was, but I have had the exact opposite response from the comp folks. I don't ask for secrets or anything like that. But, I have asked for advice several times and the response was great. As an fairly new competitor, I will ask questions all of the time. I understand there are cooks out there that do this for a living, so to speak, but for folks like me that compete 4-5 times a year this has been a great resource for me. If I lived somewhere that I could drive 3-4hrs in any direction to a comp I would definitely do more. I will continue to ask questions and I will continue to give advice in this forum. I was at a comp last month and there was a team next to us that were 1st timers and they asked us about how to do the garnish for the boxes. My wife went over to their trailer and showed them how to build one and said the rest are all yours. She made them run to the store and buy new/legal greens. She's a mean one. They ended up placing 12th over all. I was super happy for them. That is the kind of folks that I tend to run into at a comp, and that are the folks that tend to answer my questions on this forum.
The guys at the competitions have been great. I’ve made a ton of friends out there and the comps have become a great way for myself and family to get away and hang out with great people and meet new people. I’ve only had that experience here on this forum.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #30
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

What was your question Wager? Ask away, I cook a lot, and I’ll answer it as best I can.