Lexington NC ‘Dipt’

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This Saturday is our 2nd Annual NE Ohio Fall BBQ Bash

I am cooking a whole pork shoulder (butt+picnic) for the bash.

This will be done in the style of traditional Lexington, NC BBQ. Only salt and smoke for the seasoning.

For reference: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525

After it’s done, it gets chopped and tossed with a sauce that’s known as a dipt. (Not “dip”, but “dipt”)

Lexington dipt is a thin vinegar sauce with a touch of brown sugar, crushed red peppers and a little ketchup (in comparison, Eastern NC sauce has no ketchup)

Today i made up the dipt, as it’s best when it sits a few days.

Instead of crushed red peppers, I used fresh peppers from our garden.

5cde1bfac979beaf36eac797c0099c04.jpg

0ddd76726b35c1e63e270e024098786f.jpg

ddf6bb21fd7ccd6b7e9d03763a3a3821.jpg

Habanero, Scotch Bonnets and cayenne.
Apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and Q-Salt.

Tasty stuff!!

I have made the Dipt for several of my friends and as most, they prefer the more traditional type of BBQ sauces. On the other hand, having grown up in the Va. / NC. area I love it. It is a Southern thang!
And, I do want to Thank Sir Pork A Lot and ShadowDriver for providing the recipe because I Love it!

I have made the Dipt for several of my friends and as most, they prefer the more traditional type of BBQ sauces. On the other hand, having grown up in the Va. / NC. area I love it. It is a Southern thang!
And, I do want to Thank Sir Pork A Lot and ShadowDriver for providing the recipe because I Love it!

Actually, the vinegary NC sauces are the more "traditional" BBQ sauces. Sweet KC style sauce is a latecomer to the BBQ scene.

I love learning about regional BBQ styles. It never ceases to be interesting. Thanks for sharing dipt with us!

Back